This is a serious inquiry.

I only get to swim in an indoor public pool about once every two weeks through the non-summer months.

I have noticed that after spending anywhere between 90 minutes and two hours in the pool playing water vollyball, I'll be warmed up and not notice the chill of the water.

Changing in the damp locker room, I find it difficult to dry my feet completely, but attempt to do so. After a two hour drive home, I find that my feet want to be out of socks and shoes because they begin to feel funny... not exactly an itch, but wanting to breathe...

The skin on the bottom of my big toe, balls of my feet and elsewhere seems to be flaking off... ribbons or narrow strips of top layer skin that is translucent and dead.

If I attempt to grab a flake and pull it off, it will tear deeper layers and begin to bleed. The best solution I've found is to take nail clippers and trim the strip off as short as possible.

Has anyone else found this in a public chlorinated pool? Is it from the chlorine in the water, or perhaps the cleaning agent on the concrete locker room floor? Any suggestions on how to prevent this? How about a more effective way to deal with the aftermath?

I do not experience this at any other time during the two weeks in between the swims.

Do you think the chlorine might be drying out my skin and revealing damage that was already there?

Please advise...

My 8 year son has had this problem for the past 3 years when we swim at our local swim club. I don't know WHAT to do. It bothers him very much. But my three other children love swimming with no problem. My son does love swimming too, but the side effects with his feet make him cry, I load up Neosporin to prevent infection and to releave the pain, but nothing helps other than school starting with NO SWIMMING. So sad that something so fun for him as swimming causes him so much pain.

PLEASE HELP!

My 5 year old son's feet do this. It is bad for him, anytime he is in water they peel. We went on vaca last week with beaches and pools. I didn't know what to do about his feet. So I tried nexcare no sting liquid bandage spray. I sprayed the bottom of his feet each day, before any water. He feet did not peel at all. The spray is about 6 dollars and is a very small amount. I used 2 bottles in 6 days. I will always have some on hand for him from now on. His feet even look better now than before for the trip. I hope this can help anyone with this problem.

my son has the same problems whenever his feet or hands in some cases get wet they peel horribly i took him to the doctor and he diagnosed him with dishydrotic skin reaction he told me to buy eucerin cream and apply to hands and feet at night and then cover with all cotton socks and gloves. it really helps him a lot hope this helps

this happens to my feet also. and I swim in a salt water pool at a friends house. it only take a half hour or so for it to start on my feet. so far it's not a problem and it's happened my whole life so I'm used to it, but I was wondering if anyone knew why it happens.

My grandson's hands peel after swimming in a pool.  They look terrible and then he picks at them until there is no skin left.  What should I do?

The pain and peeling are caused by the rough texture of the swimming pool. From the children running and jumping they have worn the skin off the bottom of their feet. Have them wear water shoes in the pool and you will cure the problem.

The rough texture of some pools does cause a wearing away of the skin, some times blisters, and sometimes bleeding in many people. This is typically worse on the tips of the toes. However, most people on this board are describing a chemical reaction of the skin to the pool chemicals. This is a problem for my oldest son, who loves swimming and is very good at swimming. Protecting his feet and hands from friction does not nothing to prevent the peeling, fissures, and pain.

We made some progress with pre-application of aquaphor and regular post-swimming application of eucerin. However, compliance with the program is difficult as he is now 12 and want to do it himself and "forgets." We are looking forward to a new pediatric dermatologist in town.

I had the same experience but it was at the beach, after being in the water for so long, over 3 hrs, after getting home and getting relaxed I noticed the bottom of my feet were very white, almost like dead skin..
the next day the bottom of my feet started to peel, a lot, and it was like that for a few days

Mine peeled after swimming in the ocean with swim shoes on. What can I use to make it stop? It's driving me crazy!!

What causes that is the pressure of his feet pressing and rubbing against the concrete as he's moving and playing around the pool. Swimming shoes will help. If he gets the cuts again, do not cut the dead layers it will leave the raw skin exposed and will hurt when you step, instead leave them alone and cover the cuts with a bandage with the ends up on the nail, or put a small gauze the size of the cut and wrap it several times with a Waterproof tape with the ending at the top of foot/nail. This will help it by not getting caught to things ur foot rubs. Once the raw skin heals a bit u can then cut the dead layers little by little time by time as more raw sking heals, but without a doubt the water shoes will work.

Maybe u could try buying water shoes for him

This happens with my son as well. In the tub, in our hot tub, in a public pool, anytime he is in water longer than half an hour and his skin "shrivels" they will hyper peel. So it is NOT the surface of a pool causing this. As it is happening to his hand as well.

This is possibly fungus! If you have a fungal infection (common on feet & hands) your skin will peel