I used to like swimming. I was regular at the pool. However I had an accident and I injured my skin on many places. It takes me a lot longer to heal all of these wounds and I am eager to swim. I am afraid that my damaged skin would react with the pool water. Or even worse, that I may catch some virus like HIV. What do you think?

I don’t think that you can contract HIV infection directly in the pool. The water there is highly chlorinated and chlorine is lethal for the HIV virus. However once you get out of the pool you may accidentally get in contact with somebody’s blood. So I would advise you against going to the pool with the damaged skin. Besides there are some fungi infections and skin conditions that are easily caught by the damaged skin. Moreover, damaged skin can get irritated by the chlorine and other ingredients in the pool water.