I like to swim and am regular at the beach during the summer. I can’t accept the fact that I have to wait a whole year before I can swim again. So I have decided to go to the pool. I heard that pool water is full of chlorine and that is bad for my hair. Does chlorine damage your hair?

It is true. Chlorine is a strong oxidizing agent, and it can damage the cuticle (the outer layer protecting the shaft) of the hair so swimming in a pool can damage your hair. It can make it brittle.
While occasional swim will not cause serious effects regular visits to the swimming pool require some protection for your hair. There are several ways to protect your hair. The most simple is to wear a swimming cap. Professionals and serious swimmers use them regularly. Also there are conditioners which are applied before and are left in the hair during the swim. If you go to the pharmacy you can find a variety of products designed to protect your hair such as chlorine removing shampoos.