Other than going with the Annie Lennox "do", is there a really good way to keep your hair from turning to total dead straw if you swim a couple times a week?? I LOVE swimming, I really do, but I hate what it does to my artificially color treated hair. :? I don't like that Ultra Swim stuff, I find that dries my hair out more, I do use Nexxus Aloe Rid, but that strips the color out of my hair along with the chlorine. I have to condition it every day to begin with, because it is really thin and somewhat unhealthy, and I really don't wanna cut it unless I absolutely have to....any other suggestions that work for you??? :(

Pre-wet it in the shower. This simple thing helps a lot. Next you can wear a swim cap if you want. Some people even put conditioner on before the cap.

I tried the cap but since I swim primarily backstroke, the water just goes right up the back and I get soaked anyway. I'm sure it helps a little but my hair still ends up wet. What does the shower thing do, I've heard that before?

pre-wetting makes it harder for the chlorinated water to bond to your hair since it is already wet. Sorta like a sponge, when it is full it wont absorb much else poured onto it.

What I used to do was wet my head in the shower, put on a swim cap (it sort of seals off your hair. Sort of). Then after, wash my hair in the ultra swim shampoo AND conditioner (leave it in for a minute or two), then start over with my shampoo and conditioner of choice, and since you color treat, almost definitely something with pigment in it in your conditioner (I like biolage) as the chlorine is going to strip your color.

I have heard of people wetting their hair then putting on conditioner and not rinsing it before putting on the swim cap, but I'll tell you from the pool maintenance point of view that this is hell on the filters and your pool owners would kindly thank you to not do that, but it sounds like the best option from your stylists point of view.