I have a ruptured eardrum and it has been about six weeks. It still feels stuffy in that ear and my ENT specialist want me to wait and come back in another two months. However, his guess was that it may not heal on its own and I may need surgery. Does anyone have a similar issue and how long did it take to heal naturally? Should I consider surgery with all the risks or do I wait it out? How long do I wait?

I have rupture my eardrum 4 months ago not by ear infection but by stupidly sticking a Q-tip and forgetting to take it out when reaching for my face towel and had just came back from the ear, nose and throat specialist. I was told that my hole in the ear drum did not get any smaller and had been suggested by the specialist to do the surgery.  I am getting second opinion on this with another specialist.  So, did yours heal yet and how did long did it take for it to heal for or did you had to do the surgery?  I really do not want to do the surgery, so hopeful I hear good new from you that it heals on its own eventhough it might takes months and months to heal.

Thank-you so much for your response

Yes, I have recovered completely and I hear fully as before. It will take about 8-10 months to completely heal and you will see difference in hearing after 7 months. It is veryimportant to not let water into the ear as that will cause infection and slow recovery. Consider surgery after 1 year if it does not heal. Good luck. Let me know when you hear me well :-)