I know research has shown that following a healthy eating plan can be very good for everyone. I read it could both reduce the risk of developing high blood pressure and lower an already elevated blood pressure. This made me think it is very important eating healthy. Can you tell me if that is really so important and can you tell me more what actually eating healthy means.

For an overall eating plan, you could consider the DASH eating plan. This term stands for "Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension". This clinical study tested the effects of nutrients in food on blood pressure. Study results indicated that elevated blood pressures were reduced by an eating healthy. Their plan emphasizes fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy foods and is low in saturated fat, total fat, and cholesterol. The DASH eating healthy plan includes whole grains, poultry, fish, and nuts. This eating healthy plan has reduced amounts of fats, red meats, sweets, and sugared beverages. There is another clinical study, called "DASH-Sodium". This one looked at the effect of a reduced dietary sodium intake on blood pressure as people followed either the DASH eating healthy plan. Results showed that reducing dietary sodium lowered blood pressure for both the DASH eating healthy plan. As you could see, eating healthy is very important, not just for blood pressure, but for whole organism.