My daughter is 20 and she is a bit overweight. She eats very salty and spicy foods and has higher blood pressure than it is normal for girls (children) her age. I think that she does not take it very seriously. Are there foods for lowering hypertension? I hope that she won’t have to start with real hbp drugs.

The first recommendation is weight loss and is actually very effective in treatment of mild hypertension. There is DASH diet-dietary approaches to stop hypertension that is based on research of National Institutes of Health. Reducing salt-sodium intake decreases bp significantly. There is supplement for sodium chloride salt that contains potassium instead of sodium and usually patients with hypertension use it, but it is also not safe to take it too much because can have harmful effects. Fruits, fibres, vegetables, low fat foods, starchy foods like pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, fish at least twice a week.