Hello everyone,

My sister was diagnosed with hypertension which means, if you didn't know, that she has a high blood pressure. She has been talking to some friends of hers who told her that a dietary change is the best way of helping her with her high blood pressure. One of these people suggested DASH diet to her.

I could use all the info that you can give me. If you know anything about this DASH diet, my sister and I would like to know since we have no clue what foods are good for lowering someone's high blood pressure. Thanks in advance.

Hi Alan,

Changing one's lifestyle can go a long way toward controlling high blood pressure. Her doctor may recommend her to eat a healthy diet with less salt, exercise regularly, quit smoking and maintain a healthy weight. But sometimes lifestyle changes aren't enough. In addition to diet and exercise, her doctor may recommend medication to lower her blood pressure. Her blood pressure treatment goal depends on how healthy she is

The DASH guidelines suggest eating more foods rich in potassium, calcium, and magnesium. In general, she should eat more low-fat protein sources, whole grains, and plenty of fruits and vegetables. Hope that helps.

Hello there Alan. And Bee, of course :)

I am almost sure that DASH diet program has some phases that everyone should follow. For the beginners, there is 7 day meal plan that looks very good, but it can be a problem if you are not used to certain foods or diet programs as well.

But generally, it is very important to eat a lot of whole grains that you can find in cereals, pastas and breads. Also, you should eat fruit and it doesn’t matter are those fruits fresh or frozen. Also, you should try to eat low – sugar fruits. Low – fat milk and yogurt are also very good. Sugar is OK, but you should not eat it that much. And if you are drinking alcohol, I would avoid it totally.

Hello there guys. I have never followed this DASH diet program but I am seriously thinking to try it. Why? because I was talking with my younger neighbor Melissa and she told me that this diet program literally changed her life. She didn't have to give up on some groceries, she just needed to reduce some foods and that is all. When I asked her is it really hard to get used to this diet program, she told me that this was the easiest decision ever.  So I think that is worth of trying (and I will go with it). 

I think that you need to talk to a dietitian here, Alan. You or your sister, it doesn't matter, but be sure to bring a pen and a piece of paper.

You see, DASH diet is one of specially designed diets for hypertension. Someone can tell you which foods are good for this matter but DASH diet follows a specific pattern and no one can you better about this pattern than a dietitian. Not just tell you, you are going to write down exactly what should you eat every day, in which amounts and at what time. All of these things are very important to follow.

Thank you everybody, but I think that I'm probably going to follow DietMaster's advice. Even your nickname fills me with confidence. My mother said to know a dietitian who helped her when she wanted to lose some weight so I'm going to contact her. I mean, my sister is going to contact her because my mother told me that she is a fine looking lady and my girlfriend doesn't really like it when I'm around other girls, especially if they are that pretty.

Thank you one more time for your replies and if you have anything to add, please do, anything can help.

Hey there.

I have never tried this diet, like many of us in here. But there are a few tips that you need to learn about this diet and when you learn them, you can tell that you do know this diet program very well. So, DASH diet program is rich in fruits, vegetables, low – fat products, nonfat dairy products. It also include whole grains, a lot of beans, seeds, and fish of course. Also, you should eat lean meat, poultry and healthy fats. It can happen that you are hungry sometimes, especially when you start this diet program. But, when you are hungry you can eat proteins in every meal and snack.

Hello there guys, when I started to follow this diet program it was really difficult for me and I don't even know why, because this diet program is really, really easy to follow. Basically, all you have to do is to eat as much fruit and vegetables as you can. And there is not that much to know about this diet program. People already have told you what is very important for you to eat and when you learn this, when you find out what is the basics of your menu it will be much easier. I like this diet program, actually I don't think that this is diet program - more like lifestyle!