Hi. I'm aware how water is important to our health so I'm trying to drink it all the time, even when I'm not thirsty. But I am not sure how much water we should drink per day? Some claim it's 8 to 10 glass of water per day. Others say it depends on person's weight and that everyone should take different quantities. Is this true? How to know exact quantity?

Hi. It really depends on how active you are, the climate you're living in, your nutrition (sodium intake), etc. It doesn't actually depend on your weight. As you probably know, every day we lose water through our sweat, urine and bowel movements, even through our breath. Water is our body's principal chemical component and makes up about 60 percent of our body weight. Every organ in our body depends on water. So it's very important to replenish the water in order our body to function properly. As I said it depends, but an average, healthy men living in a temperate climate need roughly 3 l (about 13 cups) of total fluid a day. Women need 2.2 l (about 9 cups) of total fluid a day. Also, you can't get wrong with "8 by 8" rule. Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day and that's about 2 l, which is close to doctors' recommendations.

To stay healthy, it's important to replace the fluid we lose when we breathe, sweat or urinate. We get some fluid from our food but most comes from drinks. The European Food Safety Authority recommends that women should drink about 1.6 litres of fluid and men should drink about 2.0 litres of fluid per day.