I am really glad I found this site. Now I know I'm not alone. I've never shared this with anyone. I was anemic & my choice is Irish spring. Use to be a lot and first but now I try to fight the urges. I give in sometimes here and there but I'm worried it will do damage. Just happy to know there are others out there. Thanks

hi my name is amrita and i chew soap i specially prefer sandalwood soaps but it burns my tongue and i suffer alot. i really want to stop but its impossible

I've been eating Irish spring (original) for over 20 years

I started smelling bar soaps when I was about 9 years and now am 29, for some reason I started licking the bar soaps at home. The licking escalated to literally biting and swallowing the chucks. I really would like to stop but the smell and taste is so addictive I always felt like a psycho. I will be buying the iron pills and hopefully they will assist cause the soap is really messing up my mouth.

I'm not pregnant nor been pregnant for years and these soap cravings are overwhelming. When I was having children, I did not have soap cravings. I have always loved the smell of soap and wanted to eat it, but didn't give in. But now I'm loving and licking soap. But glad to know I'm not alone and it's great to hear about taking iron pills.

I have this urge too. I just started to have it. I love the freaking Irish spring. I guess everybody loves the smell. I am glad I am not the only one. Cause I thought it was only me tho

That's called pica indeed

I can eat atleast a bar of soap per day. I soak it in hot water for at least a day, when I take it out the water, the bar is so soft and yummy. I can cut it into sections and enjoy it , or slice pieces off. I honestly am not sure I want to get rid of the craving

Omg thats all I eat is Irish spring soap the blue bar.. I crave it badly. It's so bad after my husband gets out the shower he smells just like Irish spring that I wants to bite him. So I'll have to open a bar n eat it.

OMG!!! I am so ADDICTED to smelling and gargling Dial Basics soap! Its really out of hand. I literally wash my hands every 5 minutes just to smell it. If I run out of it I'll use Ivory or Jergens. But Dial Basics is by far my fav. I don't have this problem with no other soap except I do LOVE the smell of bleach too.

I DO THE SAME THING!!!! I lather it up on a expholiating bath sponge and eat the suds. I smells sooooooo good. Thank God I'm not alone in my Irish Spring obsession.

ME, TOO! And my favorite brand is Yardley's English Lavender! And I do the same thing with ice!

Mine is dove pink bar soap, I lather a sponge and suck on the suds! Its crazy! I also eat ice every single waking moment!

Hey I'm also an anemic and a soap eater. It's like the crave is strong and I have to have it after meals and during my showers. Irish spring is my number one choice( the green bar). It's like how people crave cigarettes

Hi everyone. I know the original post on this topic is pretty old (over a year ago I believe). I just wanted to give you some information that I learned about these cravings while having this issue myself. I am severely anemic, to the point where iron pills do not contain enough iron to supplement my deficiency. I think the doctor told me I would have to take like 12 pills a day for years before my iron levels would even get to "normal" and even then I wouldn't be able to maintain my iron levels. At any rate, the severe anemia causes me to chew ice and crave soap (Irish Spring, specifically). For me, I like to lick the soap. I can't bite or chew it as it would burn my mouth and throat while trying to ingest it, but I lick the bar to satisfy my craving, and I combine the licking of the soap with A&W cream soda and crushed ice (so I'll lick the bar of IS and then take a sip of my cream soda and ice and chew the ice with the soda and the flavor of the soap). I know, it's so odd. My doctor told me that the cravings for ice and non-food items are a result of the anemia. He says everyone is different, but the cravings he hears most about are ice, soap and dirt (yes, dirt!). He says the soap can become dangerous in large amounts because soap can contain materials that have been connected to causing cancer (this would be my concern for some of you who eat large amounts). For me, personally, ingesting the soap caused vomiting and stomach issues and I noticed that I would often develop painful sores on my tongue. My doctor told me, over a year ago, that I could have iron infusion every six months or so. So I have 5 sessions (one a week for 5 weeks) where I go in to the hospital and have an IV administered where they inject iron directly into my blood. After every treatment, I feel completely like a new person, more energy, less lethargic, can climb stairs easily without shortness of breath, etc. I also lose the cravings that I have when I don't have an iron infusion treatment. I no longer crave ice or Irish Spring soap. It's when the cravings come back that I know that my iron levels are dipping again, so I go back to the doctor who does an examination and eventually orders another iron infusion. I would suggest some of you look into getting your iron levels checked and discussing with your doctor if iron infusion can help you. Good luck!