Hey guys!! Today I just happened to search "addicted to Irish Spring soap".. I can't believe it's not just me!! This is my deal... I don't swallow the soap but I use it when I brush my teeth. First, it has to be the original brand of I.S. I cut pieces off the bar and let it sit in a box of baking soda. After a few hours the baking soda takes on the scent of the soap and I'll bite a piece off, chew it with the baking soda then spit it out and brush my teeth. I don't like it cause now I feel like I have to have it all the time. It is comforting to know I'm not alone. Please respond with any questions, comments, etc...

Try eating Chowards Violet mints and try their Violets Gum to curb the soap eating crave.

Same boat here I have low iron so I am almost certain it is pica. The craving took over after I had my son, it started with me smelling the soap and I would lather a towel and chew on it then spit out the suds and rinse my mouth out... From there is went to a little lick here and there and now I keep a bar for myself, I lick it and/or shave little pieces off with my teeth and suck and chew on those. Irish spring, zest, original dial, coast, safe guard and ivory.... So far I have only eaten the Zest and Dial, but when I go buy soap I must repeatedly smell the ones I named...

wow........i literally didnt know there were so many other people with this. i thought i was a freak for wanting to eat soap all the time lol. my family doesnt know i eat it but they know i tend to 'destroy' soap bars lol.

I eat Irish Spring as well. I really try to avoid eating it but when I do it just calms me. I'm kind of happy to know I'm not the only one who does this. This is the first time I'm revealing this to anyone. I had stop buying bar soaps for a while but I kept craving it. I've hid this secret from my family for many years. I am also anemic.

I swore I thought i was the only one doing this and thought i was weird! I had my son 7 months ago but even while pregnant i craved the original and all blue irish spring soaps ! I would smell them and even brush my teeth with the soap ! I also have iron deficiency.

Does the mouth get used to eating soap and do hurting lips and tongue stop?

I am in shock... I thought I was alone in this! I have craved and been eating irish spring since my 1st pregnancy in 1993...
I grind it up to mostly to a powder and use a finger to put on my gums...

Wow I thought I was alone with the bar soap eating. I have pcos and anemia. I tried but can't stop eating bar soap

Omg I thought I was the only one who liked eating soap!!! I first started eating soap when I was pregnant with my second child. My choice was the green Irish spring soap. It didn't stop until my second sons was about two!! Then I started again with my third pregnancy and did for years then stopped again!! Eventually I stopped for about 10 years. When I became pregnant with my fourth child I started again!! My favorite brand now is dove cucumber!!! Now I can't stop!! No one know about this!! I've tried stopping and I can't!! A bar of soap lasts about a week and a half!!! The craving keeps coming!!! I'm embarrassed to tell anyone!!! I DON'TKNOW WHAT TO DO!!!

I've been craving ice and the taste of soap since I was 12... Diagnosed with anemia and have been taking iron supplements the whole time. The cravings never stopped

I am a Jamaican as well and I started eating soap when I was a child. It's become a habit for me and I fear I'm obsessed. I stopped for a couple of years and then started again and it has gotten so much worse. I buy soap just to eat. I go through a bar in a week and a half, sometimes a week if I love it and its not so harsh. I'm anemic, and I also eat ice a whole lot. I think I need help.

It really doesn't. It depends on the soap you eat. And i guess you'll have to find creative ways to have it so it doesn't touch the sensitive areas so much.