Every time I have a bowel movement I pass these strange dark orange bead-like bubbles that are sometimes 1 cm in diameter accompanied by many smaller ones of varying sizes. I am in no pain, well, I am only slightly discomforted, but I feel as if that may be psychosomatic due to my worrying about my "illness". Anyway, my stools look very normal, except for all the orange beads around the toilet. I can not find ANYTHING anywhere with information on this. It started about 3 days ago. I would almost go on to say that my bowel movements were oily or leaky.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I had this i was told it was fat.I had it happen when i ate chips with "olean in them

Hello Kitty,
I have the same symptom as you do in my stool. My stool is orange, bubble-like and oily. I was wondering could you find any solution with your problem?

I really appreciate your help
Neda

I found this in an old post.....and coicidentally I just started eating a lot of fish here in Malaysia. Just thought you might be interested........

Quote:

Hey,
I just read on a forum that Oily Orange Diarrhea might be a consequence of eating butterfish or also known as escolar. More than 20 % of this fish is indigestible wax esther, which will pass through humans body and result in oily, smelly, orange diarrhea. Diarrhea goes away after few days. Did you eat this fish? If not, I don’t know what might be a cause

I didn't necessarily have the complete diarrhea.....but I did have what looked like orange grease balls sitting on top of the water.....

Hope this helps

I have the same problem. It had happened before, a couple of years ago, when I used Xenical to reduce weight. This time, however, there was no Xenical.

I also ate fish recently, not in Malaysia, but it might be a cause. In the end, I dont mind that I am getting rid of fats, however it is uncomfortable to clean.

As pointed out by one respondent the cause of orange bubbles of oil in the faeces is the consumption of a specific type of fish which is sold by some restaurants and also served by malaysian airlines on some flights as "butterfish" - an expensive white fish.

However the symptoms indicate that the fish being served is not butterfish but another oily species Escolar (Lepidocybium flavobrunneum) or Oilfish (Ruvettus pretiosus) . This species contains up to 20% by weight of waxy indigestible oil and produces an adverse reaction in 20-50% of people that consume it. Genuine butterfish does not have this reaction as the oil can be digested.

I have had this problem on and off for the past 18 months after eating at a particular japanese restaurant. I had the same problem recently after eating "butterfish" on a MAS flight. As I result I have done some research and solved the problem.

further details can be found on the following links:

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wcms/Publishing.nsf/Content/cda-pubs-cdi-2002-cdi2603-htm-cdi2603i.htm

http://www.dh.sa.gov.au/pehs/Alerts-&-Recalls/rudderfish-17dec99.htm

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wcms/Publishing.nsf/Content/cda-cdi2603-pdf-cnt.htm/$FILE/cdi2603i.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfish

The options are to avoid eating butterfish or to check with the restaurant on the exact fish species they are using as butterfish. Some restaurants Malaysia are selling genuine butterfish - which gives no problems.

I cannot say for sure, but from what I know, it's fat that your body doesn't absorb from your diet. In most cases it happens when you take medication to infact stop the absorbtion as to cause your body to burn it's stores thus allowing you to lose weight. However this is most commonly caused by diet pills which purpose is to do so. Another thing that, and im just guessing here, is that you may be seeing this problem when you exercise more often than you may have otherwise done before, or possibly your intolerant to the fat your food contains. In short, thats what I believe to be the problem, however I don't know if it's harmful or not. Id wait to see common trends and if you feel so inclined as to visit a physician by all means, do so.

Hi All,

I had the same problem the last two days. I was terrified since it was the first time happen!

After reading your e-mails I feel better. I had a big portion of butterfish (as they claim in the restaurant) the night before the problem started).

Mystery solved...

Very interesting. This has also happened to me on two occasions. Once after going to a friend's house and eating his superbowl chili and another from grilling a very large lobster tail that was coated with some garlic parmesean butter. I'm guessing that with the chili it was probably not ground sirloin and could have been a chuck or something greasy and witht the seafood, the butter probably did the trick. I was a little worried until I read about the butterfish :-)

please read into the article below regarding fish containing wax ester ingestion causing these symptoms. If you google keriorrhoea (orange oily stools) you will find a lot of reading on the subject. I had the same thing happen to me yesterday after eating the high oil containing soup from a butterfish that I had steamed. Any one with recurrent symptoms should contact the public health dept.

health.gov.au/internet/wcms/publishing.nsf/Content/cda-pubs-cdi-2002-cdi2603-htm-cdi2603i.htm

I am having the oily orange discharge for the first time and came online seeking for answer. yep! I ate australian butterfish for the first time yesterday.

THANK YOU. I WAS CONCERNED THAT I HAD A SERIOUS PROBLEM. I DID HOWEVER EAT SOME CANNED OSTERS IN SOME OIL. IT WAS ONLY A BUCK AT THE DOLLAR STORE. I KNOW, GROSS. I HAD A TASTES FOR PACKED SARDINES BUT THAT IS ALL THEY HAD. I COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT THOSE OYSTERS. I STARTED THINKNING IT WAS GINGO BALOBA PILLS THAT I HAVE FINALLY STARTED REMEMBERING TO TAKE. :-D

i have the same problem but i did not eat any fish... i am a little worried being my first time with this problem... i did have sloopy joes and i was on a dietr pill.. i do feel a little better thanx

Thank you for this forum! I was horrified to see green oily droplets in the toilet! Your forum helped me to make the dietary connection. I was on a business trip in the La Jolla/San Diego area two days ago and had a giant portion of Escolar for the first time.
Case closed!

I just had the oily orange too.

Everywhere online suggests A) liver/bile issues with malabsortion of fat B) Olean/Olestra 'fat-blocker' food additive C) colon infection or palups (only seen it suggested once) D) Malyasian butterfish and E) Cashews...

A few people mentioned eating a lot of cashews in one day - I made Indian food with about 1.5 cups of purreed cashews yeaserday and ate it for dinner, night snack, and lunch today. Cashews are really high in fat content (although its monosaturated fat, which is good and usually easily broken down). The cashew make-up itself could have something to do with it too, producing an orange oil (the dish I made was definately orange.

Anyway, doctors online reccomended a check up. I've yet to see a post from someone who's physician wasn't stumped though. Check it out if it reoccurs and bring a stool sample (ew..)