Hi! I have shingles; doctor prescribed me Elavil for pain. My friend takes same medication for depression. Should I take this drug, maybe my doctor made mistake? Does anyone use Elavil for pain?

Hi! Elavil is useful in reducing the symptoms of chronic pain in the some skin conditions, shingles are one of them. So,
Pain arising from this condition is defined as sympathetically maintained pain. The pain is usually described as having a burning sensation and is often in response to stimuli that does not ordinarily cause pain. This pain originates from the nervous system. Elavil appears to be effective in reducing this type of neuropathic pain in doses lower than those used to treat depression. My doctor prescribed me this drug; I had chronic pain I didn’t sleep at all. Elavil really helped me. So, try this drug!