I think I have overactive bladder and I’m currently waiting for my insurance to sort itself out so I can see an urologist. But at the moment, I have the urge to go, together with burning and painful pressure every 10-15 minutes. I’ve been researching a bit online for treatments for overactive bladder and it seems that most people with this issue get an antidepressant Elavil and Elmiron or Vesicare.

If anyone on here has experience with overactive bladder, can you tell me is Elavil more effective for treating it than Elmiron?

I have issues with bladder control and frequent urination after I had total hysterectomy and my ovaries removed. I'm not diagnosed with overactive bladder (mine is urinary incontinence, but it's the same thing in the end), however, Elavil and Elmiron are just completely different medications and it's hard to compare their effectiveness.

Elavil is an antidepressant and obviously, works by changing your brain signals, while Elmiron is a medication that acts specifically on the bladder tissue by forming a protective layer.

I'm struggling with overactive bladder for quite some time now, and even though Elavil and Elmiron are commonly prescribed together to help with the overactive bladder symptoms, like the previous poster said - they are completely different medications, that act on different aspect of the condition.

Elavil mostly helps with the pain associated with the constant sense of urgency and in a small way controls the need to go to the bathroom, at least for me. So, the point is, chances are that you'll most likely be prescribed both of these medications in order to control your overactive bladder symptoms.