Hi. I heard depression can be treated with electric shocks. Is that true? Is there anybody who could tell me more about electric shocks for depression?

Hi. There are many ways to treat depression. You have med treatment and psychotherapies and counseling. Psychotherapies should help you overcome negative thoughts. Antidepressants include tricyclics and MAO inhibitors. There are also some new drugs, such as Remeron and Serzone. The most common meds used are Prozac and Zoloft. Herbal treatment is sometimes helpful. Electric shock treatment, or so called electroconvulsive therapy, is a method of treating refractory depression. They pass an 80 volt electric shock through electrodes placed on your head. I know it sounds barbaric, but you can`t feel the shock, because you are under general anesthesia at the time. Electric shock is more effective for treating depression than many drugs. It is unknown why. Electric shock is actually very safe.