My mother suffers from depression. She had developed it a year after undergoing complete hysterectomy. She is 50 years old and none of the therapies seems to help. No medication, behavioral therapy, hospitalization not even shock therapy worked for her. I was wondering if hypnosis might help. Do you think it would be ok to submit her to that kind of therapy?

There are different opinions about this topic. While some claim that hypnosis could be used as a helpful tool in treating depression, other say that its impact is mild, has on and off effects and influences a small percentage of people. I would advise you to get a book called Treating Depression with Hypnosis by Michael Yapko. This doctor has a positive approach about managing depression with hypnotherapy and you may find some useful information in the book. I would only advise you to look for a hypnotherapist who has treated depression before if you decide to use this kind of treatment.