Hello. I'm 24 year old people and I'm interested to find more about one specific disorder. It is called elephantiasis. Today, I turned on TV and there was some documentary about this exotic and very strange disease. They talked a bit about this condition can they showed a picture of man the gross enlargement of a limb or areas of the trunk and head. I have never seen anything like this in my life. The man looked literally like an elephant.
His testicles had a size of a chair.
I didn’t hear all crucial information about this disease and I'm interested how man develops this disease. What is the affected population?

Hello. I'm a medical student and I have learned some facts about this disease. First I want to tell you that you don’t have to worry because elephantiasis is most commonly found in African nations.
This condition is caused by parasitic worms such as Wuchereria bancrofti. I will tell you something about the exact mechanism of this disease. There is an abnormal accumulation of watery fluid in the tissues causing severe swelling. The skin usually develops a thickened, pebbly appearance and may become ulcerated and darkened. It is proven that it is the result of obstruction of the lymph flow and possibly of blood circulation. It is rarely life threatening condition.
There are several medications that are being used for treatment such as Suramin, Diethylcarbamazine, Ivermectin…