Hello everyone,

My professor, at the college where I study, has recently been diagnosed with Rheumatic heart disease, it might be just a rumor but I don't believe anyone would be doing that. He has skipped a few classes already so I'm scared that this might be something dangerous, I have huge respect towards this professor and I know that he wouldn't skip a single class if it wasn't something very serious.

I want to know everything that you can tell me about this. I'm especially interested to know what exactly is this rheumatic heart disease and I'd like to know more about its symptoms.

Hi there Adria,

Rheumatic heart disease is cardiac inflammation and scarring triggered by an autoimmune reaction to infection with group A streptococci. In the acute stage, this condition consists of pancarditis, involving inflammation of the myocardium, endocardium, and epicardium. Chronic disease is manifested by valvular fibrosis, resulting in stenosis and/or insufficiency.

I'm afraid that this can easily be quite dangerous. If the rheumatic mitral valve stenosis is not associated with severe chordal fusion or shortening or with calcification, it may be treated with either percutaneous or open mitral commissurotomy with a high degree of long-term success. Still, it is a very dangerous disease.

Hey there Adria.

This is very common condition in children all around the world. Generally, Rheumatic heart disease is a chronic heart condition that is caused by rheumatic fever that can be prevented and controlled. Now, that rheumatic fever is caused by a preceding group A streptococcal. But the good thing is that it can be treated and what is really good is that it can be treated regular, with antibiotics and that involves usually monthly injections. Those injections can prevent patients with this diagnose from contracting some other strep infections that can cause valve damage. I really don't know what are the symptoms of it :/

Hello everyone. I am still learning about rheumatic heart diseases. And of course, it can happen in adults and in children as well. RHD is a complication of rheumatic fever in which the heart valves are damaged and this is an inflammatory disease that begins with strep throat – like you already know. Now, this can affect connective tissue in your body and the most vulnerable are joints, brain, skin and of course, the heart. The symptoms of this disease can vary from person to person, but damage to the heart is usually not readily noticeable. Now, when the symptoms appear they are depending on the extent and location of your heart damage.

Hey everyone,

Thank you for your replies but you still haven't told me anything about the symptoms of this rheumatic heart disease.

I'm asking this because my professor was sweating a lot in classes, that's one of the things we know him of so I was wondering if this was one of the symptoms.

He isn't really a lovable guy, his class is very hard to pass but I've heard some stories from his past and some recent ones and he is actually one very kind and generous man. I'm hoping that he is going to be okay, but regarding what you guys wrote...

Yes, I'm very sorry Adria but I'm somehow assuming that his condition might be serious since he isn't coming to his classes (and you said he never skips them). You and your colleagues can plan and visit him, if he is a good person as you say he is, he will be glad to see that his students care, I know I would.

I don't know, people around here don't pay much attention to streptococci but they are indeed dangerous. If you just let them be, you get a rheumatic fever, one thing leads to another and boom- you are in life danger.

Hey there.

Yes, no one hasn't mentioned the symptoms of rheumatic heart diseases. I am reading those posts as well and nothing about the symptoms.

Sometimes you can be without any symptoms, this can happen to a lot of the patients. But generally there are a couple of symptoms that are the main indicators to rheumatic heart disease.

So,  Adria here are some symptoms:

• possible chest pain,
  • excessive fatigue,
  • heart palpitations,
  • some bad thumping sensations in the chest,
  • you are dealing with shortness of breath,
  • your ankles are swollen.

Those are all possible symptoms and if you have them it is time to react.

Good luck.