I met this girl like two months ago. We started dating, everything was great but then she started canceling dates or going home early and stuff. I couldn’t understand what was going on especially because I was positive she liked me as much as I liked her. So, I decided to talk to her. We sat and she told me she suffers from an incurable disease. The problem is that I can’t remember the exact name but she kept mentioning rsds. I understood that she is in a lot of pain most of the time, needs to take meds everyday, has physical therapies and isn’t ready for a relationship. I really like her and I want to help her. Can you tell me more about this disease? Thank you!

The disease is called reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome or shortly rsds or just rsd. Unbelievably, nearly 8 million Americans suffer from it. It is a neurological disorder. In this condition, the autonomic nervous system that transfers signals from the central nervous system to various organs throughout the body doesn’t work properly causing nerves to send constant pain signals to the brain. It usually develops after a trauma like injury, a fracture or fall. This disorder causes patients to suffer from chronic pain that feels like burning and stinging but they can also experience muscle spasms and tremors, fevers and are more prone to infections and colds. It may be very difficult to cope with, so I guess you will have to be patient and carrying, considering you are still interested in this relationship.