Hi, I have watched documentary on TV several days ago about syphilitic dementia. As I was very interested about dementias in general this sort of dementia was quite interesting for me. I would like to know something more about it as I know that syphilis has it’s neural form.

Hi, this is form of syphilis or stage of syphilis which affects nervous system. People with this disorder suffered from deterioration of memory, lethargy, headaches, insomnia, depression and irritability. Disease is progressive and it will to the full dementia and paralysis. Main cause is bacteria treponema pallidum. In the early stages syphilis may be cured with antibiotics.

Hello mendy,

Since Alasdair has written basic information about syphilitic dementia I believe that this has satisfied your curiosity. I hope that you are asking this just because you want to find out a little bit more about syphilitic dementia and not because you know someone who is suffering from syphilis but doesn’t want to see a doctor.

This sexual transmitted disease is very easily treatable in early stage and it usually comes with symptoms such as sore. This is usually described as a button and it is tender and sometimes even lymph nodes get swollen and tender as well. Sore heals by itself after 4 weeks but the syphilis remains in the body.

If you have any doubt that you or someone in your surroundings is suffering from syphilis advise them to consult a doctor as soon as possible. 

Does anyone know about cerebral syphilis- mainly long term effect. My fiance has just been properly diagnoised after better mis-diagnoised for severe depression and nervous breakdown. He is currenlty on penicillin and still in a delirium state. Just don't know how long the delirium will last or how much damage was done. Thanks for any and all help.