I am interested in learning more about this "ELEPHANTITIS", it is a really interesting topic. I am still in school, grade 11, my name is Emily! My friend Herik was looking up this and I just wanted some more information about it! Please and thank you

e-mail me on this topic at:

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **

Celebrity
Yes, I totally agree with you that this is a pretty interesting topic to learn, I have also studied a bit about it and here is what I know about elephantitis.
The word “elephantitis” describes the enlargement of the arms, legs or genitals to extreme sizes. It happens as a results of the parasitic infection caused by round worms which actually block the body’s lymphatic system and therefore the fluid is forced to collect in the tissue which start to swell up to gigantic sizes. The swollen limb resembles of a big elephant foot, either in size, colour and texture.
There are a few causes of elephantitis known, but the most responsible agents are filarial worms found in tropical and subtropical regions. Limphatic filariasis is the most common in underdeveloped countries of South America, Central Africa, Pacific Islands and the Carrebean. Long term infection of lymphatic filariasis can lead to lymphedema, hydrocele in the scrotum, elephantiasis of the legs, scrotum, arms, penis, breasts and vulva.
The drug of choice in treating lymphatic filariasis is diethylcarbamazine (DEC). The trade name in the United States is Hetrazan.