I am 25 and I think I have emphysema. I don't have any symptoms, yet. I had accident and I looked x-rays after that I’ve done for a medical paper. I recently got married and I asked my doctor about whether I can have kids now. He told me that I need a lung transplant if I want to have kids. What do you know about this, can I have children if I have emphysema?

I think maybe you should get a second opinion. This doesn’t sound to me like he knows what he is doing. Emphysema doesn't normally show up on x-rays until it’s quite advanced. At your age it is highly unlikely to have the emphysema unless you have a rare inherited form of the disease. It would be a good idea to ask your doctor for spirometry which is a test for lung function. Emphysema is a chronic lung condition in which the lung's natural airspaces (alveoli) become larger yet decrease in number. The tissue surrounding the alveoli loses elasticity, so that the airspaces can no longer expand and shrink as usual and this reduces the amount of oxygen transferred by the lungs to the bloodstream, making it more difficult for you to breathe.