My one-year-old baby was found to be anemic due to low iron intake. I don’t understand how this have happened, because he is such a good eater and is not picky at all. I thought his nutrition was appropriate. He was prescribed vitamin supplements to be given with food or juice and I would like to know if the iron deficiency would cause him harm.

Several months of anemia shouldn’t do any harm to the child but a couple of years could lead to learning problems later in life. Were you given a iron-rich food list by a pediatrician? Besides giving him supplements, try to enrich your child’s nutrition with iron. Was your child exhibiting any anemic symptoms like irritability or pale skin or something? Some children that are mildly anemic and good eaters like your son don’t even need to take vitamin supplements. An iron-rich diet would do. In case a child has severe anemia, s/he should undergo further testing to see if there is an underlying condition or a disease. Make sure you don’t give him the supplements with milk because milk can interfere with iron absorption in the stomach and not directly into the mouth because this can cause teeth discoloration.

can you give me any information on being pregnant and being anemic?
what are the consirns and worrys

I just found out that i am enemic. What should i do?

Nooo I dont think so. Though I am not a doctor. I was an anemic baby and I turned out fine. But thats also just me. Good luck.