what are the side effects and symptoms of being iron deefficient, and why all of a sudden as i reached mid age this is now a problem?

the main symptom of iron defficieancy (anemia) is tiredness. this is because iron is needed to help carry oxygen to the rest of the body. low iron=low oxygen concetration=low energy in cells= overall tiredness to try and conserve energy for vital body functions.

as for the middle age im not sure of an exact answer but i know it does tend to happen then.

there is lots of information online about anemia/iron defficiency though and i would suggest looking there for furture information.

hope this helped

Snack on high-iron dried fruits such as prunes, apricots, dates, figs, peaches and raisins.Eat iron-rich foods in combination with foods that are high in vitamin C to better absorb the iron. For example, have spinach salad with orange slices or eggs with grapefruit juice.

Hi I wanted to add that I was diagnosed as low iron anemic last year at age 35 the cause of middle aged anemia is most likely due to heavy menstraul cycles just thought I'd add my 2 cents :)Stacey

Fatigue is the most common side effect. Like the person who responded before this post, it is because there is not enough hemoglobin in the blood. Hemoglobin is an iron-rich protein that is found in red blood cells and that carry oxygen to the body.

Anemia can also cause dizziness (when standing up), headaches, shortness of breath and cold feet/hands. Also, you can check your gums and nail beds for a paleness.

If the anemia is because of iron-deficiency – there could be cracks in the sides of your mouth and perhaps a sore tongue. You may crave non-food things like paint, starch, dirt etc. Your nails may also be brittle….

If your anima is caused by internal bleeding, you would likely have dark stools. If you are getting heavier menstrual bleeding or longer periods – you are at a high risk of iron-deficient anemia.

Personally, my diet gives me all the iron I need. I love a good salad everyday and use spinach as the base & that’s got a lot of iron right there. Nevertheless, I had iron-deficiency anemia and found out it was because of a cist in my uterus. I am in my 40’s.