Hi, I have a friend who has anemia. She says that it is caused by a blood condition called spherocytosis. I have told her that anemia can be cured if you eat food reach in iron, but she says that spherocytosis cannot be cured this way. What kind of condition is spherocytosis? What is the cure for this illness?

Hi, your friend told you the truth when she has told you that spherocytosis is a form of anemia. And she was also right to say that food rich in iron can help, but it cannot cure spherocytosis. The problem with your friend is that her body is producing sphere shaped red blood cells, which are called spherocytes. These blood cells are smaller than usual, but otherwise perfectly functional. But the problem with spherocytes is that because of their size, the spleen sees them as old blood cells and destroys them. That is why your friend is constantly anemic. As I said iron supplements can help, but do not solve the problem. Removal of the spleen is sometimes performed and this may solve the anemia problem, but other issues may occur. But, regardless to all the possible complications splenectomy can offer a person a chance for a normal life.