Hello. I took my cat to the vet the other day. My friend recommended I should take her cause she noticed she had some problems with her urinary tract. Turns out she was right. My vet also said something is wrong. Then he did some tests and he prescribed me some meds. He said I should take good care of my cat’s kidneys cause she probably has minor kidney stones. I have no idea why did that happen. She drinks plenty of water and I heard that’s a good prevention method for kidney stones. Do you know what causes these stones?

I think that the main cause is oversaturation of stone-forming materials in the cat's urine. At least that’s what my vet told me once. He said that there are also some other potential causes . They include increased levels of calcium in the cat’s urine and in her blood. 

There are also some diets that produce high (alkaline) urine pH, which also might be the cause.

My friend who knows a lot about cats told me that recurrent urinary tract infections can also cause kidney stones. I believe that’s true because she really knows a lot about cats, she has five of them. 

Hey folks.

You can never tell. There are so many causes, a number of causes and risk factors that can cause this disease, or at least, it can contribute to the development of this disease.

Those factors can help stone – forming material’s in your cat’s urine.

Of course, there are so many other potential causes, that can include increased levels of calcium in urine, increased levels of increased calcium in blood.

You should know that some diet programs also can produce high urine pH and this can lead to some tract infections, which can lead to kidney stones in cats .

Good day there,

It can definitely be a kidney stones in your cat. There are so many different conditions that can cause differently types of stones.

I remember when my sister’s cat had this problem, with kidney stones.

It was so infected urinary tract, there was even a blood in her urine as well. In her case, it was very high level of calcium in the cat’s urine.

There are so many different causes, and it depends, as I told you.

When it comes to this, you always should check for different opinions.

But, some cats don’t show any symptoms during this issue. 

Kidney stones are not life – threating usually. But, if you can take care of them very, very soon.
Your cat’s body is basically one big, very big chemistry set and this body has chemicals that combine with minerals in the diet from crystals.
Well, this can stick together and form stones.
There are so many different sizes of this stone, but they say that commonest stone in the kidney is made from calcium oxalate.
Those minerals shows on the x – ray.
I had this problem with all of my cats, and this can be really painful process to all of them.

Hey everyone.

I couldn’t agree more with you guys! Those are all causes, but the main cause is stone forming material in your cat’s urine, that is the potential cause of kidney stones in cats.

As we all probably already know, kidney stones are mineralized, rock forms of minerals that develop in the urine bladder.

They can be single stone, large stone, or maybe a collection of stones, who knows.

Usually, there is a mixture of both – small and large stones.

There are a tons of potential causes as well, but those are most common in all cats.

Good luck with treating it. 

Of course, those are some main causes, but they are a little bit hard to explain.

I will try to do it once again :)

My Boo didn’t have any problems with kidney stones, and my cat neither, tnx God. So, I really can’t tell nothing from my own experience.

But, I was talking with a friend of mine today and she told me that her cat, Lila, had this problem. She notice this because she was drinking a lot of water, and she was a little bit in pain while she was urinating.

She took her to the vet and he did some tests. He told her immediately that she has kidney stones.The main cause was – those what other people wrote in here. 

Hey everybody, I can agree on what Mia said above. Oversaturation of stone-forming materials in the cat’s urine system is probably the most often cause for kidney stones in cats. Cat’s urine contains dissolved minerals and salts, and when there is a high level of them, they can turn into stones. They usually start small and then grow in size. In a lot of cases, your cat can simply throw them out of her system when she urinates. If they happen to get stuck, they can block the urine canal and that causes pain to your cat. High level of calcium is another option, but it’s the cause that happens less often than this one.

Hey all.

I agree what is said above about kidney stones not being dangerous, although they can be very painful.

You all agree that the main cause of kidney stones is located in the urine and I would agree with you, too.

With all that said, there is not much you can do to prevent it. 

There are, let's call them "safety measures" that you can use, like putting your cat on a special diet but you really can't do much. It goes same for the humans. Luckily, they don't stick around that much because usually they dissolve in the same urine where they first appeared.

I’ve heard that these things can help in forming kidney stones, there’s only a few of them:
1. Nutritionally imbalanced diet- If you’re not feeding your cat well, she will be more prone to kidney stones.
2. Decreased water intake- which is logical if you think about it. The less your cat urinates, the greater is the risk of kidney stones.
3.Urinary tract infection- of course
4. High concentration of magnesium, ammonium and phosphate minerals in the urine can also affect forming kidney stones
5. Certain drugs and dietary supplements can have many negative effects and forming these stones is one of them.