Hello everyone. Since I was very young, I had cats. Recently, I got the dog, but I don’t know how to feed him right. I am learning new things still, and I really hope that this will be just fine. But, I have confession to make. I was thinking that feeding my cat and my dog with high protein intake is totally ok. I know that cats needs more protein and I was thinking that dogs need it less than cats, but I was not so sure. To cut long story short, I have heard that high protein diet can cause kidney problems in dogs.

Is this true? 

Hey.

Dogs require less protein intake than cats, you should know that! Why didn’t you consult your vet when you got this dog? Don’t worry, we are going to help you find the answers, but you should always consult the vet. Good thing is that this information is false. High protein pet foods are not harmful to a normal, but NORAML animal kidney. Animals body digest and metabolizes proteins, so nitrogen is released as a byproduct. A high diet produces more nitrogen and the kidneys simple excrete the nitrogen in the urine. But if your dog kidney is damaged, that can be a problem. So, that is why you need to visit the vet. 

Hello, guys.

Great answer you got here. I remember when this myth “high-protein diet can cause kidney problems in dogs” started. Some unproven study was all over TV shows and newspaper articles. But, just like all other hoaxes, soon it was demystified.

You already read that too much protein can cause problems to dogs that are having kidney or liver issues because proteins increase workload on these organs. But, that’s totally different problem connected to obesity of our dogs. We need to feed them properly so they can be healthy, and in good shape with strong immune system.

So, check the health of your dog and make him a good-old homemade raw food. 

I was reading a lot about it, precisely I was reading about this yesterday in the newspaper, so I have some fresh memory now lol :)

Of course, high protein diet can cause kidney problem in dogs, especially if your dog is not so healthy. I don’t know have you done some tests of his stomach, liver, something like this lately? If you didn’t, you really should do this. It would be really big problem if you start high protein diet program, and your dog already has some kidney problems. So, this is why you need to do some test, as soon as possible. 

I am afraid that this theory about kidney damage is not entirely false. Of course the media exaggerated with the headlines, but it has some valid points.

You don’t want to buy your dog food that has proteins in excessive amounts. Excessively high protein diets are not good. Here is why- The meat in these diets is a great protein source, but it also contains other nutrients that your dog doesn’t need in excessive amounts.

For example, when you feed your dog mostly with meat it is almost impossible to maintain a proper calcium-phosphorus ratio. And when this ratio is out of balance it can lead to kidney damage or disruptions in bone growth.

That really shouldn’t be a problem. Of course you should not overdose your dog with proteins, but that’s just common sense right? 

Humans also are recommended to eat high protein food, but that doesn’t mean you should overdose yourself with it. 

And there’s the obesity problem. If you overdose your dog with proteins, he will become obese. That will lead to many other health problems. 

Of course puppies require more proteins because their body is developing, keep that in mind too. 

But that is also common sense, kids do too. You won’t feed your kid with less proteins than you, right?

You are totally right, it is not totally false, but it should not cause any problems to a healthy dogs. If your dog’s kidneys are working perfectly, high protein diet should not be a big problem. Of course, you want your dog to be healthy, you don’t want to overdose him, right?

Again, I have to say that I do recommend this diet program, but only if you consult your vet and only if you do every possible analyses.

You just have to be normal at this, you have to find the right balance at this and I am pretty sure that everything will be just fine with your dog.