Hi everyone. 

I have a heart related question. It is about my brother. He is a bit older than me, but he has always been way healthier. He never had any long term health problems, even though I have always been the one who takes better care of himself. Recently, he found out he has an enlarged heart. This is not a condition in itself, it is just a sign that something is wrong, it is like a symptom.  They are still trying to figure out the cause. In the meanwhile, I was wondering, can this be the cause of his angina?  Thanks.

Well, like you said, enlarged heart is not a condition by itself. My guess is, it definitely has something to do with his heart pain, but in which way are those two related – we can only guess.

There are many causes for enlarged heart and some of them may cause angina. I’m not a doctor, but I know that one of the causes for enlarged heart is Cardiac ischaemia. You are probably familiar with it. 

This condition causes reduced blood flow to the heart of the patients. And this condition can cause heart pain- angina in people who have it. Wait for the doctor’s opinion to see what your brother is dealing with.

Yes, the enlarged heart is probably causing angina. Unless there is something else that the doctors didn’t reveal yet. My grandmother had an enlarged heart and I remember she had heart pain pretty often. I actually didn’t even know that there must exist something that is causing enlarged heart, I thought this could be a condition itself.

I think they never revealed what was the cause for it in my grandma cause she had a car accident, soon after she was diagnosed with it. Some drunk guy hit her car from behind and she died on the way to the hospital. 

Hey there.

Sure it can. Enlarged heart can be the cause of angina. But also there are several different causes of enlarged angina.

Angina is usually a symptom of coronary heart disease and that means that underlying cause of angina are the same as the underlying causes of CHD.

There are some factors that can be causes of angina as well. Those factors are: smoking, high amounts of certain fats and cholesterol in your blood, very high blood pressure and high amount of sugar in the blood.

Those are just some of the reasons but definitely enlarged heart can be the cause of angina .

Hello everyone.

Definitely it can be. I tried to learn a little bit about this when my dad had problem with enlarged heart. I took him to the ER one night because he was feeling really bad. When they checked him they told me immediately that he has enlarged heart. They send him to do some tests and he head this problem – angina problem.

Yes Stradivarius, you are right. I am totally familiar with Cardiac ischaemia because doctors told me that this also could be a reason for enlarged heart of my dad.

Tell me, how is your brother now? Is he ok? Did they gave him any therapy?

Good day guys.

Well it depends. Enlarged heart is medically known as cardiomegaly and it can be caused by a number of different conditions. Those conditions are, for example: heart valves, high blood pressure, arrhythmia, hypertension, etc.

But of course, no one of us can tell you is enlarged heart in your case really cause of the angina. I believe that your doctor needs to do some tests and analyses to determine what is going on exactly. So, don’t seek for the excuses and visit the doctor immediately. You also need to be aware that sometimes it can be very hard to determine the cause.

No treatment yet.
What has been driving me crazy is the fact that my brother simply doesn’t care. You would not believe it. It is like he is catching a cold, nothing more serious than that.
He was supposed to go to the doctor yesterday, he had an appointment, but it was at 8 am so it was too hard for him wake up and go.
I assume the doctor will be offended since he is probably going to tell him ‘’I overslept’’ when he calls him to see why hasn’t he come.

@Stradivarius I don’t know anything about that condition you are mentioning, I will look it up on the internet. I just hope it’s nothing serious.

Hey. I’m sorry to hear that. It is very unusual since people normally freak out when it comes to heart problems. I know I would.

You can look it up by the name Myocardial  ischemia, that’s the official name I think.

And I really hope this is not the cause. I’m sorry to inform you that cardiac ischemia is a pretty serious. :/ So he really shouldn’t miss his appointments if there is even a slightest chance that he has something like this.

You know, cardiac ischemia can damage his heart muscle. By doing this it will reduce its ability to pump efficiently. This may lead to hearth attack.