I've had gross hematuria for about 3 months now and after having all the ct scans, bloodwork, urine tests and cystoscopy they finally narrowed it down to my right kidney. None of my doctors are worried and are not in a hurry to test me further for an answer, but I am so scared. Sometimes my urine is so bloody I can't even see through to the bottom of the toilet.. Has anyone else ever had unexplained bleeding? Please help.. I am in desperate need of reassurance...

Well if your doctors are clueless you should get a second opinion. Several conditions can cause kidney bleeding. It can be hard for doctors to pinpoint where the bleeding is originating, because the kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra are all connected. Common causes of kidney bleeding are infection of the urinary tract, or abrasions in the urinary tract caused by kidney and bladder stones. You may have kidney stones. Get a second opinion.

Thank you for responding. I did have a regular CT scan and a CT scan with contrast and neither one showed kidney stones or any masses what so ever. I was also tested for a UTI when I went to my family doctor when the bleeding first started and that came back negative and my cystoscopy didn't show anything wrong with my bladder but my urologist did see blood entering my bladder from my right kidney. It's just so frustrating. It doesn't seem like loosing this much blood can be ok but the doctors and nurses say I'm fine. Sometimes I even get big blood clots. I'm actually trying to get an appointment with a specialist, my case just doesn't have the urgency that they require so I'm forced to wait. :-(

Well if your doctor is clueless you should go for a second opinion. Several conditions can cause kidney bleeding. Initially what was your problem that also matters did you undergone any surgery? Anyway, in such a condition i would suggest you to go for a detox programme. This would definitely help you one of my close friend did availed this. She got the reference for Fresh Start Health Retreat Center ( had seen their fb page), situated South Island Highway,Oyster Bay in Canada. Availed the 5 Day Wellness Program inclusive of Juice Fasting & Body Detox. Frankly first she was very nervous about all these things but once reaching their, the place, atmosphere, ocean, spa service & service was already feeling rejuvenated. They taught about, what to eat & what to avoid in the program, yoga, juice fasting everything went very smoothly & was entirely relaxed, detoxed, recharged and felt awesome..:) Contact them @ ***edited by moderator*** ** inappropriate posting** & all the best friend.

I was just wondering if you were still bleeding and if they found the cause of your bleeding. you see I am having the same problem. I been bleeding on and off for the past eight years. It seems like it happens every two years. This time it is lasting longer. I had blood work done and a ct scan with contrast and every thing came back normal. I also had a cystoscopy done and that is when they said it was coming from my right kidney.

I too am experiencing unexplained gross hematuria, I would so like to know if anyone on here ever resolved their issue with this. My left kidney is enlarged, I have been hospitalized 2 for stent placement. I am in constant pain in my flank area and constantly nauseated. The drs have no explanation as to why. It came on suddenly, I had no previous issues or symptoms. I just began passing large clots through my urinary tract and having extreme bladder spasms. My urologist says he had never seen a kidney this impacted with clots, 2 attempts were made to remove the clots with no end ever found. I am left to wonder and it is feeling very stressful. Hope these ladies were able to find answers. Thanks

did anyone get answers yet? Im going through same stuff and have a stent in now. Nobody knows why my kidney is bleeding either and just wondering if it ever ends????

Hi guys - I actually had this problem when I was 15 and Im now 38. It was from my left kidney and it went on for almost 4 years. I was hospitalized several times and always had to store my urine in my refrigerator. So embarrassing especially since it was pure blood. Anyway, they did several cystoscopes and never found the reason until I was sent to this DR in phillidelphia. He invented the flexible tube that actually can move through the ureter without damage. He said there were tiny little growths-like skin tags- all over my kidney and they would fill with blood and rupture. He cauterized each and everyone of them and I never bleed again. If only I went to him first- the other drs damaged my ureter pretty badly. I think his name was bagley. It's been so many years. I hope this helps someone.

Hi my husband is having this problem to. had all the tests. they say he has a small cyst on his kidney. The bleeding is getting worse every time. The doc says don't. Worry. We to need an answer.

Well I hope everyone has found some answers to there questions. My brother is going through the same thing and after the cystoscopy was done they found bleeding coming from his left kidney...they found a AVM witch is VERY RARE!!!! and most doctors will not have ever seen one in there career ..so do some reading.

How good to know that I am not alone. I too have blood coming from my right kidnehy.

Yesterday, at about 10  a.m. I noticed blood in my urine. I went to the family practice clinic at U.Va. They took a urine sample and saw no white blood cells (nor did I have classic UTI symptoms). They sent me home telling me the Uro clinic would call to make an appointment for they thought a cysto was in order. However, last evening I spent two hours in the U.Va  because the clots from the bleeding blocked my urethra and I had to be catheterized and sent home with a Folely cath. When the clinic did not call by 9 a.m. by husband (a doctor) when into "protective spouse mood" and began working the channels. I was seen at noon. Thus, today was spent in the Urology clinic having a cystoscope where a  small stream of red cells was seen coming out of my right ureter. I then had a CAT scan with contrast dye in saline.  The Lasix drug that was used drew all the saline to the kidneys so they could be effective seen. Unfortunately, because of a large clot in the right kidney, the saline did not exit  to the bladder (left one was fine).  The pain from this back-up, from kidney to ureter to urethra and down my right leg and flank was excrutiating, rather like peeing out an 8-pound baby through a small urethra. The rather frightened techs, nurses and radiologist, when presented with a writhing, gasping patient sent me back to the Uro clinic where I was given demoral which, after about half an hour finally dulled the pain.

In two days, I am schedule for a retrograd cysto-urethroscopy that will go all the way up to the right kidney since the clot there was so large the radiologist really could not get a good look at the kidney.

Now here is a question:  YOGA.  The first time I saw blood in my urine was right after yoga yesterday morning. I had been doing shoulder stand. (sort of like a headstand, but one the shoulders and  neck with the body being held up by the hands on the back) See an illustration here:

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

I positioned my hands well up my back, with my thumbs perhaps right over my kidneys. I rocked first to the right and then the left so I could position the hands high up on my back.  I mentioned to the doctor that, at that point of positioning my hands, most of the weight of my lower body and legs was pushing down on first one thumb and then the other. It occurred to me that that is an awful lot of weight (I weigh 140 lb and a 5'6" frame) to have supported by just a thumb. I asked him if this could have damaged the kidney causing bleeding that was minimal at first but, six hours later had created a clot the size of an egg (It was when I could not pass the clots and could not urinate, that I had to go to the ER) The urologist did not think this could have caused the problem for, as he said, “there is a lot of subcutaneous tissue between my kidneys and where your thumbs were.”  He did not think so. I've been looking for Google data on such a thing but have found none. This site did not mention yoga but it did menion kidney bleeding so I am hoping, perhaps, the yoga connection might be recognized. 

Any thoughts on this? Any of you do  yoga just before your initial notice of blood in the urine.

Thank you.

I was looking around for the same answers and came across your post. I am going through the exact same thing! Yesterday I had the cystoscopy and Friday I go in for another CT scan, but this one will be with the dye injected in my veins. The dr said if this shows nothing new then we will have to put a telescope up into my kidney in the operating room under anastesia. They have no clue. I have been googling every kidney condition I can find to see if anything matches my symptoms but I think im just driving myself crazy. Good luck with your kidney journey. Hopefully it is nothing serious. BTW, I am on my 2nd opinion, and they are both clueless. I am 5 apointments in and still no closer than I was on my first apointment.

I have the same thing . When ever I lift or ride in a car thats bumpy it gets worse .Did you ever get better and did any oe ever help you .Wanting to be normal.

I'm having the same issue, if u find anything out please let me know, and Iwould do the same

I have had this problem off and on for about a year and a half. I first went to the hospital cause I was having severe pain in my back on the right side. However, when they did the test my left kidney was completely full for a stone. To make a long story short I had surgery for the big stone. Did fine for a couple of years, now I'm having trouble again, yes stones, not as big. They did all kinds of test, and everytime like the rest of you when I go to the bathroom, I bleed This has been going on for 6 weeks, again they did ll kinds of test a couple months ago, and here I am. I must say it is comforting to know that I'm not the only one. I pray for each of you.