Hi. My son had a problem with lower back pain and we went to take an ultrasound. I have found out that he has only one kidney (the right one)! When he was born, nothing like that was noticed. A doctor has told me that many people are being born with a single kidney. Is that true? Is it dangerous to have only one kidney?

Hi. Yeah, you may be born with a single kidney and this happens in about one out of 750 people. The left kidney is the one more often absent. The single normal kidney grows faster and get larger. This is why the single kidney is larger and heavier than normal. That is also why it is more vulnerable to injury. You should be aware of the increased risk for injury. It is always better to have two, than only one kidney, but persons with a single normal kidney usually have few or no problems. However, some long term problems may occur. Diets are not needed for such condition.

Hello I'm 51 Years old and just found out that I only have one kidney and that is my right one and I'm in stage 3 of kidney diease so right now ita alittle
hard for me but I am goin g to make it though.I never in all my years knew that I had one neither did my mother until now.

My father discovered that he was born with one kidney at age 68 after being overweight and diabetic. He's on dialysis. After eating vegetarian and spicy ethnic food his weight and chemical numbers are good. Vegetarian food non processed works best-Indian, Thai, Chinese, Ethiopian, Middle Eastern with no soda pop or alcohol. Green tea is good along with exercise. Maybe encouraging your son to take up running and weight training vs contact sports is good weight management without as much injury risk. The main thing is to prevent obesity which causes diabetes and high blood pressure. My father's father didn't eat meat or drink, walked a mile a day in his 90's and lived to 100.

I am 27 and found out when I was 17 that I was born with one kidney. All of the doctors I have spoken to about this have told me to treat myself as I would if I had two; eat healthy, drink lots of water, and everything in moderation. I have never had any issues and although I played sports growing up, I probably would have second guessed this if I had known, since I need to be more careful with the one that I do have...

My dad now 85 years old have just discovered that he has only one kidney...He has had a normal healthy life for all of his life until he was diagnosed with diabetics....

im 23, and i've known my whole life that i only have my right kidney. i wasnt allowed to take sports all through highschool. i was perfectly capable of doing everything the same as everyone else, but my school demanded my doctor give a detailed list every year of what i specifically could and couldnt do. my doctor said the only thing i shouldnt do is rope climb. they insisted on the list, and he gave me a note. therefore, having an extra study hall every year, leaving no homework to go home with, and the end result in me graduating at 300lbs with no activities =(. 6 years later, i lost most of the weight. back to the one kidney, having one kidney isnt THAT dangerous.. live life normally be careful. water. diet. excercise. what people do anyway when they have two kidneys. i've always had a joke with my mom, since we have the same blood type, i claim her kidney in case i ever needed it. but just to be safe, i also wear a MedID necklace that has my name on it and the back engraved "only has right kidney". to culminate, its not that bad, but you should see a kidney doctor yearly, just like a yearly physical, to be extra extra safe C=.

:cry: hi my names ........ and i have a problem with my kidneys i only have 1 kidney and it's small i was born with it.

my mum was also born with 1 kidney i do not have any problems but like your son i do honestly feel lower back pains :cry: :(

Hi, my name is sarah and I am 23, I found out when I was 17 after a very serious car accident that I was born with one kidney. Unfortunately the hospital that treated me never told me which side, they only said to speak with my doctor on the things that i should be careful of. My doctor told me that I can live a normal life as long as i don't cause my kidney severe trauma. I can drink alcohol in moderation and to watch my sodium intake. That was pretty much it =( I do get severe back pain consistently to the point it wakes me up at night. I was also told by a close friend that she knows someone born with one kidney and has severe weight issues, she spoke with her doctor and was put on medication due to the tests that they ran showed her one kidney wasn't breaking down the proper proteins and was slowing her metabolism. I don't know if any of this will help but i soon will be going to a new doctor to discuss some of my questions (in my case i feel a second opinion is needed) If I find out anything other than what i have written here i will be more than happy to share...good luck with having your questions answered =)

I am 33 and just been told i only have one kidney (the left one!!) after an ultrasound for a completely unrelated issue! I never knew and neither did my mum!!! I have had a normal active life, travelled round the world, rock climbed, been on speed boats, paragilded etc...i guess if i knew i only had one kidney and accident could prove fatal maybe i would have thought twice before doing stuff but as i never knew i have done everything and participated in hockey and gym etc at school and drunk alot during my 20s! Too late now! So far i have had no problems related to this at all and intend to carry on my life as before but just get checked up once a year for peace of mind! xXx

I was in my 3rd trimester with my second son when I was having an ultrsound done. The ultrasound tech was having problems finding something when he called the Dr. in. That was when I found out my baby had only one kidney. After that I had to go for special high resolution ultra sounds. When my son was born we had to visit Hersheys Children Hospital every month for a year to track the growth of his right kidney. I was informed by the specialist that Evans kidney had grown larger to compinsate for not having the left one. He is allowed to play sports, just not the contact ones. (football, soccer, etc.) He is a very healthy little boy. Does everything his older brother and what any other child can do. He is getting ready to start racing his dirtbike. Thank god for kidney belts! Not sure if I can watch. Docter says he would be fine though. The only question I have is how could they say it's not hereditary when on my husbands grandfathers side there are atleast 3 relatives with one kidney! Evan has a cousin born 6 months before him with the same condition. My husbands grandfather and great-grandmother has had just one kidney. They have lived to be in their 70's before they passed. And not from kidney disease. Makes you wonder if genetics is playing a roll in this. I was told the reason most people don't know they have only one kidney is because ultrasound has only been out for a few decades.

Hi my name is ashley and i only have a left kidney. I found out when i was 16 because i have a double uterus and was in serious pain and had to go to the hospital. I went through a ton of tests and found all of this out and i had to get two surgeries. Now that im 18 i really want to get a tattoo but was told by my mom that it might be dangerous to my one kidney but i looked online and couldn't find any info on it. Does anyone know the risks?

yeah my sister found out a few years ago that she had one kidney and two wombs where she had to have a operation as only half her periods were going through so they had peirce the bubble which the blood was forming!! she was in hospital recently with stomach cramp pains which we found out that her kidney was too big a pushin on her intestins causing the pain we found out some very sensitive laxitives would relax the kidney and stop the pains

my sister has a tatoo she has a right kidney and two wombs she has not had any side effects at all

Hello I am 16 about to be 17 and I am a girl, in This week I just found out that I have only one kidney and its the left one. Is there any differences If I had the left one or the right one? I am little worry though.. when I will get grow up, would be any problem if I will be pragnant, in future?
It has been long time that I am having a such pain in my back too. I had a problem about losing weight too then since I started drinking much water I saw that I am losing weight but not sure yet. Plus, doctor told me that if I will be sick later I should tell them that I have one kidney because some medicines could be strong to me.
And Thanks