I am concerned for my child's health. She is 17 years old and has problems with her kidneys. Her trouble started several weeks ago when her urinations became a lot more frequent. She also complained of light pain in her abdominal area. When she went to a doctor, he ordered kidney ultrasound-what could be wrong?

Well, there is a possibility that she has stones in kidney, though it would be a bit strange, concerning her age. Anyway, kidney ultrasound is a non-invasive technique that uses ultrasound waves to determine what is going on inside our kidneys. Also, beside kidney stones it can find out if there are cysts and masses inside that organ and with that method we can see if there is any urethra obstruction.

Hi caroljean,

If your doctor has ordered ultrasound of the kidneys for your daughter it doesn’t have to be anything serious. Maybe he just wants to rule out some possibilities and this is one of the ways he can do it.

My younger sister, she is 20 by the way, had kidney stones last year. This was discovered by kidney ultrasound but luckily there were only few of them and they weren’t so big so she didn’t need any kind of surgery but instead she was sent to the home treatment.

It was painful when the stones were passing but luckily it has ended very fast and since then she didn’t have any additional issues regarding this matter. I hope that your daughter is going to be fine.