Hey everyone. Lately, I am depressed again a lot, usually because of some private issues. So, I believed that watching some comedies or romantic comedies as well can help me in this situation. OK, those movies were really good, but I started to believe that I am more depressed.

So, I was reading a lot about it and I found the information that bigger depression can be caused by watching television or spending a lot of time in front of the computer.

Is this true?

Can watching a TV or using computer/ laptop late at night boost your depression?

Tnx in advance!

Sure it can. Psychologists tell people who are suffering from depression to avoid spending too much time in front of TV or in front of their computer screens (unless their job includes using a PC or laptop or something similar). Depressed people are more prone to spending hours and entire days in front of their TV screens and not wanting to go outside at all. This is why psychologist are recommending them (and everyone else actually) to stay away from TV screens. These things are just brain washers anyway. 

So sell your TV and go outside, maybe travel somewhere or something.

Yes, definitely. Psychologists are saying that those who are not suffering from depression tend to become more prone to it if they keep watching TV or staying in front of their computer screens for too long. I don't really know what is hiding behind these things but they sure can contribute to the development of depression in someone as well as cause it (in some really rare cases). I strictly forbid my children to spend too much time in front of their computers or TV's, I encourage them to go and play outside. Technology has occupied this world and I don't want that for my kids.

I agree that technology is on its way to completely overtake the world, but it might have done it already actually.

It doesn't have to be late at night, it can be at any time of the day, if you are spending too much time watching TV or using your computer, you are definitely going to boost your depression. If you are suffering from depression, you need to spend more time outdoors and less time in your house. TV and computer are certainly not good for you and if you can manage to stop using these, it would be better for you.

You are so right, TV is just a bunch of useless stuff and is making everyone even dumber than they are. And it can definitely make you more depressed than you already are. Seeing "happy" people doing things that you cannot do, comparing yourself to others, all of these things can certainly and will certainly boost your depression so you need to quit these things.

There is no need to even talk about laptop and computers and facebook in particular. People have no lives anymore, except for their internet life of course, it's horrible. I believe this kind of life can cause depression as well.

Well, I know. I was reading a lot about this as well and a few months ago I could swear that this is not true. I remember that, when I was younger, TV helped me to sleep well. Whenever I turn the TV, I fell asleep. Now, things are different and I can see that TV is obviously bothering me.

But there is also another problem - I work late at night and I don't know what to about it,  how to change it. I am constantly spending a time with my laptop. Is there any cure for it at all?

Generally, watching screen too much can cause a lot of different things to your health. So, watching too much of TV, your mobile phone, laptop and ipod can cause depression for sure. I also loved to watch TV at night, especially when I came to my home tired after work. But I noticed that this is not OK for me and that something weird is going on with me after this. I think that this is all about light, but I am not so sure. So, try to avoid TV at night or laptop. I don't know what to tell you about your work. Do you have any other period in your day when you can work?

Hi.

I don't know. I guess that I don't have that much time to work after. Sure, I came back home from my work, but I am too tired to work right after this.

So, night was always my escape. Everyone is a sleeping and I get the chance to concentrate more. I don't know, I am not sure how lights can be connected with the depression, but I notice that a lot of people actually avoid to watch TV during the night.

I just can't believe that some show can't relax you? It is really unreal for me...

Yes, I couldn't believe as well, but than I did a lot of research on the internet and I found out that TV has so many negative effects on our body. At least, more than positive. For example, I noticed that I tend to be lonely, depressed, anxious, and have low levels of self-control when I am watching TV too much. Is it same in your case? So generally it is unhealthy. A lot of people do not understand it, but once they do, they will turn off their TV in the noon I think. I don't watch too much TV anymore because - I told you, it doesn't have any positive impact on me.