I had urinary infection 2 weeks ago, and was on antibiotics because of that. After the treatment, I had to take urine sample on analysis again. Than, it has shown that I had epithelial cell in urine. That scared me and the first thing that crossed my mind was cancer. What can cause epithelial cell to be found in urine? I will have paptest next week and ultrasound.

Epithelial cells are common to occur in urine. They are usually from genital tract and their occurrence is usually not from diagnostic value. Amount of epithelial cells can be increased in infections and inflammations. It is true that amount of epithelial cells is also increased in malignancies, but this absolutely is not the only sign of cancer. Urine sediment always contains epithelial cells, from bladder, urethra, sometimes from kidneys. As they differ in morphology, it can be pinpointed where they belonged.