Everytime I have an urinalysis there is always a trace of blood in my urine. Three months ago and again last week there was a large amount of blood in my urine. Monday I began seeing the blood in my urine. I went today to the uroligist who did a cystoscope which showed that I had small polyps in my bladder. The doctor said everything was ok, nothing to worry about yet he instructed me to come back in six months so he could check my urine for cancer cells. My question is if everything is ok, why do I have a large amounts of blood in my urine and why do I need to have my urine checked for cancer cells in six months?

hi, bladder polyps are relatively harmless but can cause blood to be present in your urine, the reason you will have be asked to reattend is that in a few cases they have the potential to become cancerous. by checking you every 6months or so the doctors can keep an eye on what is happening and if they notice any changes then they can remove them before they cause a problem. Its similar to a Pap smear in that they are able to identify and prevent problems. Don't worry too much if you have no pain and no changes they are unlikely to require treatment. hope this helps