Hi! Please, can somebody explain to me what does protein in urine mean? Yesterday my brother started to suffer from pain in lower stomach. He also feels pain during urination. He went to doctor and he did some urine analysis. They found protein in his urine. I can not stop to worry.

You didn’t say how much protein is in his urine. Small increases of protein are not so dangerous but large amounts of protein in the urine may indicate a serious kidney problem. Probably he will need to give another sample of morning urine. Usually doctor asks for couple of urine samples before they prescribed a treatment.

I am having lower abdominal cramping now for 1 week. Low back pain also. I went to first care place & they said I have blood & protein in my urine but not sure what is wrong with me. I can't get into my urologist that did my surgery for a week. Should I go to ER? Is this a serious matter, if my family history is that my father only has one kidney?

Yes, go to the ER. It may mean nothing but could be serious. ! ! !