Hi, I have increased level of proteins in urine. My doctor said that I need to collect more urine and bring to examination to determine what kind of urinary disorder is that. What can cause increased level of proteins in urine?

A urine albumin test is performed to measure the amount of protein in urine. If level of proteins is increased, further investigation can be one to determine where are proteins coming from. They can origin from blood, if there is a disorder in filtration of the blood in kidney nefrons, from damaged walls of urethra or urinary bladder, in infections or they are proteins accumulate during some longer time in kidney tubing. Based on origin of proteins doctor makes the diagnosis, and some of these conditions are treatable and others not. But, it is also important to collect urine in a proper way, because to measure precise amount of protein excreted in 24 hours, it is important to have 24-hour urine sample.