I had tumor in my right buttock. I was told that was Merkel cell tumor. I don’t know what Merkel cell tumor is and I don’t know anyone who had this tumor. Anyway surgery went well and I am ok now. But I am very anxious to know about it.

I don’t know much about it, but I know that Merkel cells function as touch receptors in the surface and underlying layers of the skin in mammals and humans. They got name from some German scientist. So, A Merkel Cell Tumor is a very rare cancer of the skin that arises when these cells start dividing out of control. Good news is, if your tumor has been completely removed then there is a very good chance that it will not recur.

Phylys:

I am a survivor of Merkel Cell Cancer, have been in remission for the last 16 months. I have located another 101 survivors, family members, and some health care professionals doing research on MCC. Please search Google Groups for Merkel Cell Cancer or following this link to our group. There is a lot of information from others that have gone down this path.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/merkelcell?hl=en

George

I also do not know anyone else with Merkel Cell carcinoma. I had a dime-sized spot on my lower leg which turned out to be Merkel Cell carcinoma. I do not have any of the risk factors associated with Merkel Cell. I had surgery 16 months ago and are currently undergoing quarterly skin checks at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.