Hello. I am now 33 and have been bed-ridden for about 2.5 years - but was perfectly healthy before then.
My husband made this video clip on YouTube to show the world how a Knee Surgeon destroyed my healthy knee ... after I had been bed-ridden 6 months with two IDETs on L4/5 and started having knee pain. I didnt know then that the patella was controlled by so many muscles and ligaments to keep it centered. They were supposed to check for a possible 'medial meniscus' tear - saying it was URGENT! But then, i woke up having my kneecap cartilage shaved - and now, 2 years later, my left leg is "gone"-I cant use it because of the shaved knee.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrG1O_6-s7o

But that's not my real horror story. Although ... it is probably because the 10 month delay in my ADR surgery after the Knee disaster that I am now lying here with a fusion in progress, screws and rods and a cage in place of my Prodisc.
What I am desperate to know (and we cant find on pubmed), is whether rhBMP-2 overcomes the anti-fusion effects of ibuprofen. This is critical because the lateral extraction of my Prodisc caused irritation or damage to my genito-femoral nerve which runs through the Psoas. Anti-inflammatories (NSAIDS) would calm down the area and stop the swelling and burning in my ankle.
Basically: After the Knee surgery in Munich Jan 2006 I had a Prodisc implanted in Straubing, Dr.B October 2006 , then spent all year in bed. In May we learn from a UK surgeon that I was not a candidate for ADR at that time. I was a 'perfect' candidate according to my old images from the year before (we only saw the surgeon once 5 months before the surgery), but my disc space had collapsed to bone-on-bone, which also caused the facets to fuse and hypertrophy. This is what all surgeons told us ... except my original implanting surgeon. He suggested (on the 3 month review - which is the ONLY time we saw him again) that the reason I could not flex or extend was because the PLL (posterior longitudinal ligament) was tight. So ... we waited .. and waited ... and studied ... and finally asked doctors from the US, France, Netherlands, UK and Germany. They all said the same thing. The device is too big. The facet were very degenerated pre-operatively. You have hyperlordosis in the ADR segment. Everyone asked: "WHO DID THIS!" Some suggested to fix it 'you must leave the device in and do a posterior fusion'. Others, more experienced, said it should come out - because the Prodisc's hypermobility could prevent a fusion.
So, after tons of research, pain, waiting, a month in a rehab center (they couldnt do anything and recommended a revision), begging my original surgeon for help (no answer except to say they could not find any problem, and therefore my help in Germany was blocked ), we finally had the device taken out 11 Oct 2007 in USA. Of course, our insurance does not help, so we had to spend our life's savings, and now I am lying here waiting for a fusion with no insurance, no home, and no income.
It has been a very hard recovery from the revision surgery, mostly from to the mobilization of the psoas muscle as required during the lateral explantation of Prodisc II. As said above, there is a geneto-femoral nerve that runs from L2 down and through psoas muscle. When one is facing a revision ADR surgery at the level higher than L5/S1, psoas muscle mobilization is inevitable which leads to an inflammation of that muscle, which leads to the mentioned nerve irritation/impingement, which in most cases (per my doctor) leads to a temporary (hopefully) parathesia of the upper part of the leg, hip, groin etc.
So, I am taking it easy and keep telling myself - "6 weeks ago, I was not able to walk (barely)".

Thanks for reading and sorry for a long post-it is the shortest that I could make

**edited by moderator**

I went to Dr. B and I am nearly bed ridden. Please contact me so we can talk. Please!

I'm sorry for all you went through and I hope you have recovered. I have a Prodisc-L at L3-L4 and they fused around it. I am getting rt leg problems again. I wish I had it removed. It's hard to find a qualified doctor to remove it. May I ask the surgeon that removed yours? Do you recommend any surgeons?

Kind regards,

Sbarn