I have read all of the posts before mine and I can truly say that I am extremely skeptical in having this surgery done. I was diagnosed with Thyroid Goiter and I have several nodules...one bigger than the rest on the right side of my thyroid. I have had biopsies twice in two years and although the results are benign, my surgical doc is recommending total removal because of the biopsy results and the size of the nodule. I have not decided "yes" because of the after affects that i've read thus far. If there wasn't a chance for my thyroid to become cancerous, I would not even consider the thought of surgery, however I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place not wanting to go against surgery and feel sorry later or having surgery and wish I never had. I know what anxiety feels like because i've suffered for months with it and shortness of breath is pretty scary too....i even suggested to my doc to put me on hormone therapy meds to try and shrink the nodules first being that I am totally fine besides having the goiter (no symptoms at all, just a little uncomfortable when wearing turtle necks or scarfs), but he is totally against it because he says that it doesn't work. Anyway...has anyone researched any other options besides surgery??????

You sound just like me...I have not had my nodular goiter removed either. I have read some thyroid health books from the library and they have given some good insight. I have read that selenium is very good for the thyroid so try and find some quality vitamins that have it. :-)