I got my tonsils and adenoids out 8 days ago. I'm now little by little trying to eat soft foods. First off, my taste buds are messed up, will this last forever or will it eventually go back to normal? And I'm having an issue with food getting stuck in my hole where my tonsil was. I didn't realize it until an hour after eating Mac n cheese it was killing me! I went to the bathroom to check it out, and there were two pieces stuck in my tonsil hole. I don't know how to get it out?? I tried to start like I was gunna hack something up but it slipped downward like under the base of my tongue and was there for another 2 hrs until it finally washed out with some water. Can someone please tell me if this is temporary or at least an easy way of getting the food out besides inhaling hard or using a qtip and causing my tonsil area to swell. Please help....

when I was in this period of my life, I remember that one day I just woke up with one thing on my mind - tonsils and adenoids removed. What are the next steps?

Well, nothing much. There is nothing that you can do to be better than follow your doctor's instructions. 8 day, you say? Don't worry, very soon you will be better, you will start to eat normal, the pain will go away and you will be back to normal. But maybe you still will have this ugly taste in your mouth, this can last a little bit longer, but don't worry.