For the past few days, I've had a stuffy nose and bad headaches on and off. Yesterday, I just had a really bad congestion problems, but went to bed fine. I woke up this morning, and my throat was ultra sore and it hurt to breathe and swallow. I took some advil and sudafed, and went off to school. At school, I got the occasional runny nose, but those went away soon after coming. I came home, was completely fine- my throat didn't hurt, just a stuffy nose. I took about an hour nap, then woke up and my throat was sore and I feel something hanging down in the back. I figure it's my tonsil, but it's really weird, because I can just feel it hanging there. 

My dad checked my throat and says he saw white patches and my right tonsil looks really swollen. I feel no soreness in my throat, and I have no fever at all. We're waiting it out until morning and seeing if it's still there, but any idea as to what it could be?

We figure it's just strep throat, but I find it weird, because this is the first time I've actually been able to feel my swollen tonsil? 

I've gargled salt water multiple times, and still am. 

Hi Sarah,

You sound to have a classic case of tonsillitis. It may be time to speak to your Primary Care Physician to see an ENT (Ears, Nose, and Throat) doctor. Those tonsils need to come out If you're having trouble swallowing and are noticing white patches on them.

Also you mention the problems seem to become more prominent after you sleep. Your stuffy nose is the most likely the culprit of this problem. You are probably a nose breather when you sleep and because your nose is stuffy you're forced to breath through your mouth. Breathing through your mouth can cause severe dryness and help to keep those tonsils inflamed as well.

It is recommended to get into your doctor as soon as possible to get you on some antibiotics for the infection in the tonsils and to see about getting them removed.