Hello! My son has started swimming for his school team and he complains that water is entering his nose through nostrils. He has problems with his sinuses and I think that he should wear something in order to protect his nose. Is a nose clip a good idea and how much it can help? I even think that he should quit swimming and start exercising something else.

I have to use a nose clip. After having my tonsils and adenoids out when I was 10 I found that it hurt to get water up my nose. I don't know if I was able to keep it out before then naturally or if it always got in and the surgery left me sensitive to it. I don't remember having the problem before the surgery. So I was never able to do all the fancy stuff the other boys did jumping into the water or diving. I also  had to protect my balls when jumping in so I looked pretty funny with one hand holding them and the other holding my nose if I tried to do any acrobatic water entry.

I was able to do plenty of swimming though using a nose clip. I got to where I could swim almost the full length of an Olympic size pool underwater. I always had to come up about 3 feet short of the far wall.

There’s no need for such extreme measures. Many people have sinus problems and still they continue to train swimming with without much problems. It’s one of the healthiest physical activities and don’t make your son stop exercising it if he likes. I would suggest you to buy him the Speedo Competition Swimming Nose Clip. It’s completely waterproof and it’ll prevent water from entering his nostrils. Its design provides comfort and there won’t be blisters even after a longer training. The fabric that covers it is latex and since it’s hypoallergenic, there’s also no danger that he can be allergic to it. It’s also designed to fit perfectly and, I think that’s the right thing to eliminate his problem.