My hormones are driving me crazy! :( My longtime boyfriend and I started looking into birth control options at the beginning of the year and decided to use both the pill and condoms. As one does, I went to my GP and she prescribed Nordette - which is a monophasic pill with a steady (and high) dosage of hormones. I was on the pill for five months and after developing cholecystitis because of it, I have to have gallbladder surgery. However, this is not my concern.

While I was on the pill, I had INTENSE anxiety issues. I doubted my relationship for NO REASON, I panicked about my health, I was depressed about life in general. I had constant nervousness up the point of not being able to eat- thus only living off water for two or three days at a time. On top of those symptoms and the near-constant excruciating gallbladder attacks, I also had the classic symptoms associated with panic attacks and anxiety-- the racing thoughts, the heart beating out of my chest, that kinda thing.

So, after much discussion with my partner, we decided that stopping the pill would be best. I stopped the pill roughly a month ago, but due to a mishap with our condom we had to take emergency contraception about a week after I quit the pill. Since then my moods have been okay, but I've had TWO periods- one was to be expected as a side effect from the Norlevo emergency pill, but the other one that ended a few days ago I assume was the normal period for my cycle. However, at the moment I am going through INTENSE anxiety and panic attacks and it's driving me INSANE. :(

I AGAIN doubt my relationship (while we're perfectly happy and nothing is wrong whatsoever), I am scared about work, money, health, family- all completely irrational fears! I wake up morning after morning with an intense nervousness in my stomach. While I DO suffer from mild anxiety normally, it's NEVER been this bad and out of control! It feels as though I literally have no control over my own thoughts! :( My thoughts start RACING without warning for no reason whatsoever!

The only reason why I suspect it's worse in the morning is because as far as I understand- the "stress hormone" cortisol is released to help you wake up in the morning and with the current estrogen/progesterone imbalance I seem to be having, the morning cocktail of cortisol is making me crazy......

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

During taking the birth control pill I also found myself to be extremely anxious and overly emotion, also doubting my relationship for no reason! I also just overall believed my life was kind of like unfamiliar to me, i can't really explain it but yes definitely not how i usually feel! me and my partner also agreed it would be best for me to go off the pill, which i have also roughly a month ago. I have just recently had my period which ended a few days ago and have been going through intense anxiety. I seem to be having vivid nightmares and waking up morning after morning very anxious and unable to calm myself. I even cried in my driving lesson which usually i have no problems with. I think it must just be due to hormone inbalances, maybe because our bodies reacted this way to the hormornal inbalance caused by the pill it is having a kind of relapse due to the hormornal inbalance caused by the menstrual cycle. thats the only thing i can think it might be. thankgod i found this post though i have been feeling completely crazy, i hope the fact someone else feels the same helps you out! our stories seem very similar, as i also was on the pill for about 5 months. i guess the only thing to do is power through! good luck, just keep in mind that your anxiety is due to your hormones and also that your anxiety is whats causing your negative thinking and in reality there is nothing actually wrong. i have tried thinking back to before my period where i felt absolutely fine. i hope this helps!

checking if this works

Hi, I was wondering if you could please update me on how you're feeling now? I started Marvelon and was on it for a month. During that month I had severe anxiety like you described. I could not calm down no matter what. I would barely sleep, dream fitfully, and then wake up with an impending sense of doom and rattle the whole day with nerves. I got my period and seemed okay for about 10 days, and then I got hit by Extreme anxiety again! This time it was slightly different in that the anxiety is at it's most horrible first thing in the morning. It has been 30 days since I took my last pill and this afternoon my menstrual cycle started again but I am still so so anxious. I feel like I'm a nutcase! I am doing everything I can to help myself with this anxiety, panic attacks, nervousness, etc. I am talking to a counsellor, listening to books on CD, working on the "Anxiety and Phobia Workbook" by Bourne in the hopes I won't have to go on an antidepressant.
Please let me know if and when you got better. Please give me hope that this will end :)

I've recently had the same issues, I was on microgynon and then switched to cerazette. During this time I became extremely anxious and had my fair share of panic attacks. I went to the doctor and they said that my body was having withdrawal symptoms from microgynon and cerazette was not agreeing with me so and making my hormones go haywire. I can of bc and for a while this did not go away. But I can sure you, after a few menstral cycles you will feel better. Your hormones are just currently adjusting to how they were before you pumped yourself with contraception! :) just hang on and tell yourself you will get better. If you were anything like me you will be worrying about being anxious and how you will feel day to day! This does not help at all.

EXACTLY! i feel like most of my anxiety issues are related to simply worrying every day about how i'm going to feel! I was experiencing anxiety on tri-nessa about 3.5 weeks into it, so i stopped the pills. i had 6 days of INTENSE anxiety that made me feel like i was losing my mind. went to my doctor and she gave me a .5mg dose of anxiety meds which helped immensely so i stopped taking them afteer 5 days (terrible mistake, i know.) the anxiety came back and i'm back on the anxiety pills, but its been 4 days and i'm still feeling off. i hope what you say about it going away after a few periods is true! this is an awful feeling i wish on no one! it is like you can not control your thoughts no matter how crazy you know they truly are!

Hey guys, I'm 16 and have just had my withdrawal bleed after coming off of microgynon 30 about a month ago. I have been experiences horrible withdrawal symptoms and your stories have really helped me stop worrying as well as a few others I have found online. I have been experiences awful anxiety issues about my health but most of all my relationship. I've been with my boyfriend for almost 2 years and have never had any troubles or worries about being with him but the other night (the first night of my withdrawal bleed) a thought suddenly popped into my head questioning whether or not I feel we should be together. It was totally out of the blue and we were so loved up just a few days before so I don't understand why I suddenly felt like that :(also, it being just 4 days until Christmas, I don't feel excited at all. I just feel detatched from everything and not myself at all. I can't stop worrying about my relationship and why I don't seem excited to see friends or family and what on earth is wrong with me!!! :( and all this worrying is meaning I can't sleep or eat which is making me feel even worse :( I would be hugely greatful if any of you could reply, I'm dreading Christmas if I'm still feeling like this and would feel much better if I knew why I am. How long did you all feel anxious and not yourself? - Emily

Can someone PLEASE Give an update on how they are doing?? I am going through the same thing and I feel like its never ending.. I went through alot this summer and had anxiety issues. Decided to CHANGE my birth control from ortho tri cyclen to the Mirana... Mirana made me an emotional mess and back to square one with my anxiety. I am now on nothing. PLEASE give an update and tips how you got through it! Thanks so much

Im going through this right now. I have been off the pill for two months now and things look a lot better from the first month but I still feel anxious, I have a headache, feel pain in my stomach muscles. I have been a healthy person before I started BCP 1 year ago. So I stopped it because it was causing me anxiety. After a stopped it had been a roller coster of emotions. I have had good days and bad days. Sometimes it looks like its not getting any better sometimes it feels like this was it, its done. I keep worrying my health , my life , my husbands health for no reason. I don't feel the same person I have been before. I blame myself for poisoning my self with those little tablets like this. I am just hopping this gets better over the months, i have had 2 regular periods so far but in general i question my overall health. I will update if i start to feel better. I cant imagine how many females have to go through this. All you can do is hope and wait....

Hi Lady Woman,

I stopped the birth control pill (diane) 3 months ago and 2 weeks after stopping it experienced EXTREME anxiety attacks to the point where i called an ambulance and was taken to hospital, the doctors ran tests e.g. urine, blood, chest x-ray etc and all came back normal, they sent me home without any answers. I also experienced loss of appetite, insomnia, constant nervousness, irrational thoughts and hair loss. I have seen many doctors who all just refer me to a psycologist and tell me its all in my head. It is really frustrating when the doctors tell me that my symptoms have nothing to do with stopping the pill. I was VERY healthy before stopping the pill and had no issues with anxiety ever before. I have been taking fish oil, and a womens multi vitamin for the past month and my symptoms have improved. I am not 100% recovered but I have improved from 3 months ago. I believe that these symptoms are caused because the pill depletes B vitamins in our bodies and the pill is just synthetic hormones. Once we stop taking it our bodies become extremely unbalanced and crazy. My suggestion would be to start taking a good multi vitamin one that assits with hormone balance. I think you are right about the cortisol too! Hope this helps. Hang in there :)

Hi how have you been doing since this post?

Hi there, please go and see a naturopath. A naturopath can do hormone saliva tests and prescribe a natural hormone balancer. I had the exact same symptoms when I stopped the pill after being on it for about 5 years. I had severe anxiety/panic attacks to the point of hospitalisation. I saw a naturopath as I wanted to heal naturally and I have since been completely cured! The naturopath gave me zinc, magnesium and a natural hormone balancer. The pill changes chemicals in your brain hence causing anxiety. Hang in there it does get better. Wishing you all the best in your recovery.

Hi everyone. I have been on cerrazette for about 7 years now and was thinking about coming off it now. I suffer with depression and a severe anxiety disorder and have learnt that the best way to get off any pill is to taper off.
Your body is used to the hormones you will have given it by taking the pill so reducing it slowly over the course of a couple of months will really help to reduce any side affects.
This is purely my opinion, but I would invest in a pill cutter and a diary and wean your body off slowly, after all these are drugs and going cold turkey always has implications.
Good luck and always do your research before starting any new meds.

Is anyone feeling better now ? This is exactly how I am after stopping cerazette ! Help please :(

I went bonkers trying to stop pill severe anxiety and hospitalised tol! Went back on it. Now going to see naturopath hopefully she can give me what u suggested. Maybe try build all em up till i stop again. We also gonna wean it. Would love to chat hope you get this x

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private info not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use