Hi, my brother is 36 years old and he is suffering from OCD for several years. He is obsessed with cleaning and he is constantly doing something in the house. Sometimes I dont know how to behave when I see him cleaning so I would like to hear if someone had similar experience.

Hi, I also had member in my family who had OCD disorder. My uncle was obsessed with putting things on their space. Sometimes it was funny but also sometimes it may be pretty hard to explain that there is no need to do such things. It would be the best to accept it as usual thing and dont pay attention to it.

Hello there,

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about this and the best way it is to let him do his thing.

And cleaning isn’t so bad after all. The worst part of this condition is that you will have to get used to it. Maybe it is strange to you right now but I believe that by time it will get easier.

You must be aware that your brother can’t control this urge and that sufferers of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) are mostly helpless.

Educating yourself about OCD symptoms can be important first step in understanding needs of your brother. There are few categories of OCD sufferers and your brother is in category of washers. They are afraid of contamination and they are usually cleaning and washing all the time.