Hi, I have a friend in high school who is a great guy, have good marks and there is nothing wrong with him except….he is obsessed with religion! It is a weird love-hate relationship between him and god. My friend respect the religion, but he is also so afraid of it, that he sometimes go to church and confesses about the same things for several times. I think he might have OCD, but I’m not sure if teens can suffer from this condition.

I think it is quite possible that your friend suffers from OCD, and I don’t see why teens couldn’t have it. Typical symptoms for teen OCD are fear of germs and dirt, fear of illness, sexual and aggressive thoughts and of course religious obsessions. For OCD is characteristic obsessive repeating, just like your friend repeats the same confections over and over again. Some teens obsessively wash their hands, or even count their steps before coming in school. You should advice him to visit a psychologist, but be careful. Don’t make him feel bad or rejected, because it will make things only worse. It’s better to stop OCD developing now, than to treat it ten years later. However, if we are wrong about your friend, and if he doesn’t have OCD, that means that something heavy is troubling him, because the truest believer doesn’t confess about the same things over and over again.