About a week ago I was walking down the stairs and missed a step which resulted me falling down four steps. I got up immediately feeling a little discomfort, not thinking much other than I had just fell on it. The next morning I woke up to my hand blowing up like a balloon. I had pain from my wrist up to my knuckle on my thumb and went to the E.R. The took hand and wrist x-ray and told me it was a severe sprain. Two days later my entire thumb went numb and if you applied any pressure or even rubbed on the are just above my wrist on the thumb side I would have a shooting pain run up my thumb like what you would feel if you hit your funny bone. I went back in and they took repeat x-rays which were negative.It is difficult for me to use my hand at all. Can a sprain result in numbness? I have had sprains before and never had anything like this.

Numbness and shooting pains both indicate a nerve issue: numbness means that electrical impulses are not reaching your brain, shooting pains that the nerve receptors are being overly stimulated, and too much electrical impulse is reaching the brain, though typically because it's trying to warn you of a condition.

So basically, your thumb is trying to tell you there's something wrong and the hospital is telling you there's nothing wrong.

Somebody's wrong.

One term we (the general public) often use is a 'trapped nerve' - literally a nerve being squeezed so it triggers impulse, as you say, like hitting your funny bone. What the doctors call it, I have no idea, but a nerve is like a cable, but it is also 'alive': if it is bein pinched, it will generate shooting pains. If it is not being fed (cf: arm falling 'asleep') it will be numb (pins and needles are the nerves rebooting, after being deprived of nutrient).

Bottom line: they may be right in implying that as a sprain, it should heal: but if you can, you might try to have a word with a nerve-specialist (neurologist), especially since our hands are, simply put it, critical to basic daily life.

Thank you for your response. I did go back to be seen and ended up with a refferal to a hand surgeon. They are concerned that I have a hairline fracture of my scaphoid and possible nerve damage. I am going back today fo repeat x-rays so we will see what the say. The pain and numbness is getting worse not better and it has been a week in a half since my injury.

I'm glad that common sense won out over indifference!

If your body sends a signal, it doesn't matter what someone else says, pay attention.

I'm glad you did, and it makes me feel good that a little hokey common sense can make a difference.

Good luck.

What's funny is in having same problem do I'm wandering did u have a broke bone. This numbing problem is annoying. I just had xrays today want get results til tomorrow.