I am having discomfort when drying my hair or applying makeup. My middle finger and first finger go completely numb when doing these things. At night the right arm falls completely asleep and hurts because of decreased blood flow. I also have pain in my elbow when touched. What could be the cause of this?

When I sleep my right arm, hand, and fingers get completely numb. I am not even sleeping on the arm. Also when I am using my right arm for long periods of time such as talking on the phone or driving the car with one arm.

I have the exact problem

I have the same thing, any answers anywhere?

I also have the exact same thing and am 27.5 weeks pregnant. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks! :-D

Congratulations to all those who will soon be mothers!

i have the same thing and im 24 weeks

my right arm goes numb at night too
but i cant get pregnant bc im a guy lol...

I have had strange symptoms for years now and Finally got an answer! Both my arms and hands have been going numb alot during the night but it still happens during the day. It also seems to come and go. This has been going on for about 5 years now. A few years ago my right hand would go numb while I was sleeping and then I would wake because my hand would be cramped like a claw with severe pain. No one knew what it was! I haven't had much pain over the last couple years although my right wrist feels weak at time and both arms and hands tingle alot. Here about a month ago I started having more numbing and severe pain in my right hand, arm and elbow. My right arm and hand has been numb for 23 days now and sometimes at night or in the morning I am woke up because of severe pain in my pointer, middle and ring finger and sometines a shooting pain in my wrist up to my elbow. I explained that to my Doc and he said I have tennis elbow and one of the tell tale signs is the tingling and pain in those 3 fingers! He explained that there is a tendon that runs from the elbow down to those 3 fingers and when the wrist is over worked especially from a repetitive motion such a painting, using a hammer, screwdriver, and many more activities can cause this. You feel pain or numbness when the tendon is swollen. I could not believe after all this time seeing other docs and reading posts on the internet that I finally found an answer! My dic said to take 2 Aleve 2 times a day for 3-4 days and if the tingling or pain persists go back to the doctor. I have been on the Aleve for 3 1/2 days now and have not noticed much of a difference so I may have to go back to doc to see what the next step is. I feel pain and tingling the most when using my fine motor skills, writing, cooking with utensils and applying my make up! I hope I have helped some of you out there who are desperate for answers! Look up tennis elbow or talk to your doc about it!

Repetitive strain on any part of the body especially a joint is bound to cause discomfort, straining a joint like the elbow has a variety of implications in the hand and forearm. Try to sleep with your arm straight to allow for easy blood flow, try to avoid repetitive or strenuous tasks if you can, over the counter anti-inflammatory medication can also help.

If the pain doesn't subside document the symptoms carefully including the type of pain (numbness, aching, lightning-like pain etc) and the precise locations of the pain then see your doctor. The more precise you are, the better the chance the doctor can pinpoint the Cause of the pain and fix it, rather than just prescribing more pain medication.

All the best,

J

I too am searching for answers regarding the numb feeling in my right arm especially at night, bit occasionally during the day. It is obviously a blood circulation problem. Some say a nerve compression and some say night palsey. I just want to confirm it's not pre-stroke or a diabetes warning.

I have the same problem and after reading all of these posts here and in other places I'm "somewhat" relieved that I'm not the only one and that it could be a simple relief.

After reading the above post about "tennis elbow" and repetitive motions I'm beginning to think mine might be related to being on the computer all the time using the mouse. I use my mouse with my right hand and my chair is not the most comfortable level. So I'm thinking after months/years of using the computer not only on my job but also for hours at a time at home that this could be the culprit.

Do any of you use the computer a lot? Are you right handed? Maybe this could be it? And some time of nerve compression resulting from this...

To me, this suggests nothing other than a herniated spinal disk. True, maybe some are experiencing short-term blood circulation problems....but for the most part, everyone's sounds like disk herniation. The disk has herniated from injury or degeneration and is compressing nerves in the spinal column. Get to your doc and ask for an MRI to pinpoint the problem. If the disk is herniated, the only answer is surgery to shave off the herniated portion of disk. I had this done twice to my lower spinal disks. I ended up having a spinal fusion in that same area when the problems continued.
Good luck everyone!

I have numbness in my arm and hand at night which comes and goes. I was injuried in a car accident in my early twenties with minor back pain (it was a small accident something close to a minor fender bender at a stop sign). I was young and thought nothing of it.

(If you have pain you might want to think back and remember if you had any minor accidents early in your life, such as a minor car accident and let your doctor know this it could save time and money.)

I am older now and the pain is more noticeable especially at night. I went to a physician and they related it back to the accident years earlier they say it is a pinched nerve in my neck and happens from scare tissue and inflammed muscle tissue compressing the nerves when it is aggrevated. It only happens on my right side and it goes down my arm to the ring and middle fingers. The pain hurts as if my arm fell asleep but I cant wake it up.

I am pretty much stuck with this for life. I do not want steroid injections (once you do that there is no turning back, I will save that for when I am really old and cannot tolerate the pain).

Anyways, they (physicians and physical therapists) told me to stay in shape and stretch everyday. When you start to get out of shape when you get older certain muscles will over compensate for loss of muscle tone in other parts of your body.

Careful, when excercising consult a doctor or physical therapists so they can help you come up with a regiement not to hurt yourself more. Personally, I do low impact sports swimming, bicycling, yoga, and walking (with good shoes).

This was just my own experience and everyone is different. I hope this helps.

HI, I have been suffering from numbness in my right arm through to my hand. i realized i dont have to sleep on my right side for it to happen im 29 weeks pregnant i was in 2 accidents but i never had any back problems caused by them. i wake up early in the morning crying and tired with pain. My whole right side will go numb and my elbow will be stricken with pain. I went to the ER and found out that i might have cervical spine strain. i cant see how thats possible cuz i only have had it about two weeks. My doc told me to to by a maternity pillow that should ease the pain but they cost $60 dollars a pop. i wonder if there might be something else/

NUMB HAND OR FINGERS OR HANDS AT NIGHT: CARPAL TUNNEL. TRY STAYING OFF THE COMPUTER FOR A FEW DAYS AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS