I am sorry to hear about the people who all of a sudden start experiencing numbness in their thumb. I was using a stud and joist drill about 1 1/2 weeks ago to drill holes in a piece of oak log. The drill has a lot torque. All of a sudden i realized that my hand was numb. Most of the numbness has gone away in the hand but my right thumb has remained numb ever since. The numbness is basically in the top half of the thumb. It has not gotten worse or better. I am hoping that it will eventually go away, but somehow feel that something is damaged. I can use it as normal but that numbness is still there. I am going to give it another week or so and if no change i will go see a doctor to maybe do some acupuncture. I will try to post my status at that time.

Artmaker

Hello, Artmaker.... So is this the first time you have ever had any issues with your hand?  It sounds like you may have caused some injury to your nerves in your hand when using your drill.  Your hand has recovered, however, your thumb must be still having some inflammation.  You may have some inflammation in your carpal tunnel in the wrist that can cause numbness.  Your thumb should recover if this is the first time it has happened.  Repetitive motion can cause carpal tunnel syndrome where numbness and tingling occurs in the hand. 

Has anyone else had carpal tunnel issues that finally went away with rest?