Hi, I am in 5th month of pregnancy and have occasional numbness and tingling in my hands while sleeping. Why do I feel numbness in my hands?

Carpal tunnel syndrome is responsible for a condition when the nerves in the wrist become compressed, due to swelling and weight gain during pregnancy. It is opposed to the pins-and-needles sensation that is felt when your hands or feet fall asleep. The pain can be centered in the thumb, index finger, middle finger, and half of your ring finger. Luckily, the condition is not seen in all pregnant women and it is mild and temporary. Symptoms appear in the fifth or sixth month of pregnancy. Actually, the carpal tunnel in your wrist , where the nerves going to your fingers run through, swells and pinches the nerve. This results in numbness, tingling, burning, and pain in the fingers.