I am so glad I found your site. I did a google on cause of numb thumb and read quite a few other people had the same thing, but I could not see any recommendations as to what to do to fix it, and their doc's or physio's didn't know what to do either. I, like the first lady's post I read, was using scissors to cut some business cards a couple of weeks ago (50 in total which took alot of time). Ever since then my thumb has been numb and the numbness has not gone away. I can't afford to go to a doc to check it out. Any suggestions on why the nerves in my numb have gone numb? (FYI I have had tennis elbow on the right hand elbow on and off for quite sometime). Am on new medication too, but I am certain the numbness is from the cutting with scissors as the numbness happened immediately afterward, or even whilst I was finishing off. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :-)

Hi ruthie, I am thinking that the numbness in your thumb may be due to some minor nerve damage or something like that because that seems like the likeliest explanation. There may be other factors at play but that's my best guess. If you have tennis elbow then this is likely a similar problem to that. Are you able to at least move it and use your thumb as normal? I know you can't afford to go to a doctor but try to see one as soon as possible, okay? Keep me posted on how you're doing!

Hi HealthFitnessGuy - Thanks so much for your reply. Yep I can move and use my thumb as normal, it just reminds me everytime I touch it that it feels numb tho. Yeah I think you've hit the nail on the head with nerve damage. Strange, I'm only 38, I didn't think that nerves started packing it in this early on in life! I did go and see a physio re my tennis elbow, but he was unable to fix it. I do alot of D.I.Y. (do it yourself renovating/decorating) and I think I got tennis elbow from hand-sanding....seems I've got to be real careful from now on, cos things keep breaking down on my body lol! Thanks heaps for your reply. Sincerely and Best Wishes from New Zealand. Ruth xoxoxo

Hi Ruthie! My guess is gonna still go with an extension of tennis elbow. You're right that nerves typically don't go even though you're 38 but I'm about a decade younger than you and I've got tennis elbow so trust me, it doesn't matter how old you are! I wish you luck with your doctors in finding out what this is. Keep me posted on what it is, okay?

Hey there again HealthFitnessGuy, thanks again for your reply. Oh ok, so seems to me it must be over-use rather than age ay? I still don't have the money to go & get this attended to, I was more waiting for the numb thumb to go away, but it still hasnt argh. I guess healing takes time so I'm hoping that it will just heal by itself. Re my tennis elbow I just am very careful how much sawing & sanding etc I do nowdays lol. Thanks again and maybe catch up with you some other time. Good luck with YOUR tennis elbow etc! Sincerely, Ruth from New Zealand :-)

Hi Ruthie! I'm just checking in to see how your thumb is doing. Has the numbness gone away or has it gotten worse? Or is it the same, basically? Let me know how you're doing? My elbow has been doing pretty well actually. I got a gel pad for my keyboard and that helps a lot :-)

Hi there again HealthFitnessGuy. Aw thanks for checking in with me re my thumb, thats so nice. Nope the numbness still hasn't gone away. I've tried Arnica topically on it (once) and also tried to massage the big muscle of the thumb. It hasn't got any worse, but it hasn't improved at all. Glad your elbow is doing better, from being a typist alot of years posture for typing and sitting at computers is certainly something I know about as well as doing stretching exercises. Glad you found something that helps. Ruth in New Zealand XD

Hi Ruthie, I guess that your thumb situation isn't getting better, although I'm glad to hear it hasn't gotten any worse. I suppose it's something you can deal with but have you decided to see a doctor about it? I think it would be worth a visit. Glad to hear that you're doing okay though!

Hi HealthFitnessGuy,

Yep exactly I'm grateful the numbness is not getting any worse. I have just changed to a cheaper doctor so perhaps I'll be able to save up for a consultation soon. Yep I agree it would be worth the visit, it's only tight finances that stop me. Hope you are doing well. Kind Regards, Ruth in New Zealand

Oh, I thought that NZ had its own health care thing but I guess you're all more like the US. My elbow has been holding up fine. THe gel pad wasn't the total cure like I was hoping it would be but my elbow definitely is doing better. Hope you're well! How are you?

Hi Healthfitness Guy,

Yeah NZ Health System is changing rapidly. Tis good your elbow is doing better. Yep my thumb still numb, so still in the same place.

Ruth

Hi Ruth, that's unfortunate but at least it's something you can live with. Let me know if anything changes, okay? It's been good chatting with you...

I have the same condition. I was cutting out figures from cardstock for a children's craft project and my thumb has been numb for 3 days now. Did your numbness ever go away? Any change?
thanks!

I bought some new hair scissors yesterday & decided to use them on my 3 men in the house. While I was using them I felt a sharp pain & then numbness over the entire knuckle of my thumb. It does hurt but what a newsense. I have a suspicion this is not going to get any better.
Wanda in USA

I was playing laser tag today and all of the sudden my thumb went numb. I thought it was cause my circulation was cut off but 7 hours later it didn't get better. I'm 15 and I read nervous system damage. I can move it normally but it still feels numb. Any advice?